The Official Camping Thread

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I'm still :notsure: how you can know where camping is allowed outside of dedicated marked sites at regular campgrounds. What's the trick?

Similar related question for driving to said unmarked camp site - How do you know where you're allowed to take a vehicle off-road?
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:01 am
troyguitar wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:37 am I'm still :notsure: how you can know where camping is allowed outside of dedicated marked sites at regular campgrounds. What's the trick?

Similar related question for driving to said unmarked camp site - How do you know where you're allowed to take a vehicle off-road?
Generally there are signs and maps for things like this, particularly for the much more densely populated east coast of the US.

Wharton, for example, has marked trails and maps, with areas to be used for camping marked clearly on the map.

On the west coast, it's a bit different. Much more open space.
:dat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SixSpeeder
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiat

troyguitar wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:37 am I'm still :notsure: how you can know where camping is allowed outside of dedicated marked sites at regular campgrounds. What's the trick?

Depends on the state. WA has a lot of land set aside for recreation and preservation, different areas have different rules. As long as you don't camp on a trail or private property, a lot of the forests are fair game. Head east and pick a spot:

https://www.seattlemet.com/articles/201 ... e-cascades
dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: XR600R, C5Z, BWS3 SRT4

troyguitar wrote:I'm still :notsure: how you can know where camping is allowed outside of dedicated marked sites at regular campgrounds. What's the trick?

The places are dwindling here. Locked gates and fences everywhere. You can camp in this vicinity. Thats it. If you go outside of said vicinity you are starting a fire or littering. Gotta keep our forests clean amd the humans out!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: XR600R, C5Z, BWS3 SRT4

But my licenses are in California. A 30 dollar an hour job here is only 19 in arizona. It's bullshit.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:54 pm
NeonJonny wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:43 pm But my licenses are in California. A 30 dollar an hour job here is only 19 in arizona. It's bullshit.

Probably a slightly massively lower cost of living in Arizona.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Although I guess the Inland Empire is pretty poverty spec.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

My gf has never camped and is pretty :notsure: on it. I need to take her on a trip that is a :fuckyeah: experience so she'll like it. Maybe this summer I'll try to hook that up.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Camping is pretty :notsure: the only experience we had was an attempt at primitive camping and my gf and her friend got into a bad argument because it was her friend's bday and she basically gave no shits about us, the park, the camping rules, the ranger rules, etc. and then got mad at us as if it was our fault she went out partying the night before and got hungover and woke up late, so we just :nope: and went to Disney instead, after we dropped them off at the camp site and their other friends got there.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Camping is great. I'll definitely try to do another trip down the Colorado River this summer.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

razr390 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:27 pm Camping is pretty :notsure: the only experience we had was an attempt at primitive camping and my gf and her friend got into a bad argument because it was her friend's bday and she basically gave no shits about us, the park, the camping rules, the ranger rules, etc. and then got mad at us as if it was our fault she went out partying the night before and got hungover and woke up late, so we just :nope: and went to Disney instead, after we dropped them off at the camp site and their other friends got there.
Sounds like a problem with a bitchy chick, not camping.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:28 am In this thread, we will see someone eventually pitch a tent.

Carry on. :hue:
Came in here to make a pitched tent joke.
Glad to see someone else is already on the case.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:56 pm
razr390 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:27 pm Camping is pretty :notsure: the only experience we had was an attempt at primitive camping and my gf and her friend got into a bad argument because it was her friend's bday and she basically gave no shits about us, the park, the camping rules, the ranger rules, etc. and then got mad at us as if it was our fault she went out partying the night before and got hungover and woke up late, so we just :nope: and went to Disney instead, after we dropped them off at the camp site and their other friends got there.
Sounds like a problem with a bitchy chick, not camping.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

not sure if camping or tiny house, :butwhy: not both?

https://www.outsideonline.com/2170691/h ... it-sucking

cool buildout of van. Iove the attached tent / awning.
brain go brrrrrr
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:40 pm not sure if camping or tiny house, :butwhy: not both?

Hmm.. First thought: they must stink like people living in the old west.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:59 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:40 pm not sure if camping or tiny house, :butwhy: not both?

me too, my first thought was man, i could not sleep without showers and AC. BUT, these are problems that can be overcome easily.

I know alot of van people have gym memberships and shower at the gym.
brain go brrrrrr
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:08 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:59 am

me too, my first thought was man, i could not sleep without showers and AC. BUT, these are problems that can be overcome easily.

I know alot of van people have gym memberships and shower at the gym.
Another reason I don't like gyms.

When my wife and I are watching movies or documentaries about historical shit, we almost always comment about how hygiene is something we both really appreciate.