Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

And here's another option with really solid rims...
http://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_ ... ts_id=4216

HED Belgium plus with Sram 900 hubs, 28h front and rear
These are about 120 grams more than the customs. And adapt to all axles.

UGH.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Apex wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:58 am
[user not found] wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:42 am I may head to Nox for a mid-day romp.

Have to drop off the 2nd set of keys for the Bro Forks anyway.
:jelly:

Doe, Nox scares me with those rock gardens.
you're on a FS bike. The rock gardens there are fun.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:10 am
Apex wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:58 am

:jelly:

Doe, Nox scares me with those rock gardens.
They should be, just need to ride them more I guess.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:32 am
fledonfoot wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:10 am

They should be, just need to ride them more I guess.
Diesel over them :megusta:
If you have the shocks set up correctly and the right air pressure in the tires the bike should be able to get over that rock garden pretty easily. My hardtail was fine on it.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Johnny_P wrote:
Apex wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:32 am They should be, just need to ride them more I guess.
If you have the shocks set up correctly and the right air pressure in the tires the bike should be able to get over that rock garden pretty easily. My hardtail was fine on it.
I keep forgetting you're a hardtail bro too. And you do rocky wiss just fine.

I need to go tubeless for better rock domination.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:11 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
I keep forgetting you're a hardtail bro too. And you do rocky wiss just fine.

I have a tube in the rear tire because the :jizz: wouldn't seal it up. Works fine. Tubeless front though. IDK, a little less weight, rolls a tad better, can run lower air pressures. I say just ride the bike because tubeless adds a lot more complexity and cost to the equation. And if you don't ride it much the :jizz: dries out and becomes useless.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

So, it's come to my attention that with Li-ion battery and electric motor technology getting better+cheaper we can now buy some bicycles with electric assistance with what look like :notbad: specs at moderately :wasteful: prices. Folding versions might actually fit in a car to take places like campgrounds and airfields in Nebraska... and you don't need a motorcycle license to ride them, nor do you need to stay on public roads. Any of you know anything about these things? I kind of want to test ride one, they sound cool.

Example:

http://www.citizenbike.com/catalog.asp? ... duct_id=60
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:10 pm So, it's come to my attention that with Li-ion battery and electric motor technology getting better+cheaper we can now buy some bicycles with electric assistance with what look like :notbad: specs at moderately :wasteful: prices. Folding versions might actually fit in a car to take places like campgrounds and airfields in Nebraska... and you don't need a motorcycle license to ride them, nor do you need to stay on public roads. Any of you know anything about these things? I kind of want to test ride one, they sound cool.

Example:

http://www.citizenbike.com/catalog.asp? ... duct_id=60
I see :manuel: on e-bikes all the time around here delivering pizzas and chinese food. IMO they should be regulated, they can get going pretty damn fast and many of them weigh more than 50 lbs. But anyways. If they have pedals you'll want to check if they're e-assist or full electric drive. Many of them are electric assist meaning the motor doesn't work if you aren't pedaling.

The only folding bikes I have any experience with are Bromptons. I don't think they currently have an e-bike. Most of the major bicycle manufacturers have e-bikes now but I don't think they're folders and doubt they are cheap. I've heard Bike Friday is pretty decent for folding bikes, and appears they have e-bikes as well. Might want to check those out.

Post up if you find more though.

I really strongly suggest a helmet if you're riding a bike. It's saved my life a few times.
troyguitar

You can get a Brompton with a motor but it's $4000... :nope:

Mid-grade appears to be something like these guys:

https://www.nycewheels.com/oyama-cx-e8d-version-ii

or :scrooge: grade has TONS of Chinese shit on Amazon like these things:

https://www.amazon.com/Cyclamatic-Bicyc ... QJ00PJR0KC

https://www.amazon.com/ANCHEER-Electric ... 230VN0DCTN

The lightest electric folding thing appears to be about 42 lbs vs plain folding bikes which go down to 23 lbs. My old Schwinn is 36 lbs and never seemed too heavy, but I don't try to fold it up and walk around with it in my hand either. :iono:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:17 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:11 pm I keep forgetting you're a hardtail bro too. And you do rocky wiss just fine.

I have a tube in the rear tire because the :jizz: wouldn't seal it up. Works fine. Tubeless front though. IDK, a little less weight, rolls a tad better, can run lower air pressures. I say just ride the bike because tubeless adds a lot more complexity and cost to the equation. And if you don't ride it much the :jizz: dries out and becomes useless.
That's what I figured. I'll probably run tubes for a while. It's just easier.

If anything I think my first change will be tires. You guys seem to run some real chunky ones and my rapid rob's seem to be more about speed than traction.
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:36 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:17 pm

That's what I figured. I'll probably run tubes for a while. It's just easier.

If anything I think my first change will be tires. You guys seem to run some real chunky ones and my rapid rob's seem to be more about speed than traction.
Oh, yeah, get tires. Those are race tires... good for racing, meh for all out traction. Talk to a local shop about what they recommend. My nobby nics have been rather good, but I was thoroughly impressed by teh Specialized Slaughter and Purgatory combo on the Stumpy. Loads of grip.

You can get away with a less knobby rear tire if you are worried about slowing down too much. I run a much less aggressive rear tire for drag reasons because I have to ride to the trailhead, and an all out knobby tire is like a boat anchor.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:08 pm You can get a Brompton with a motor but it's $4000... :nope:

The lightest electric folding thing appears to be about 42 lbs vs plain folding bikes which go down to 23 lbs. My old Schwinn is 36 lbs and never seemed too heavy, but I don't try to fold it up and walk around with it in my hand either. :iono:
That Ancheer bike doe. Such Engrish.

:amazing:

Anyways. I'd steer clear of that Ancheer bike. Looks like a Chinese piece of shit. The pics of the damn thing are photoshopped with disc brakes and it doesn't have them, etc. The Citizen looks the nicest to me, with the best designed frame, but 1 year warranty on the whole thing BUH-LOWS. The Obama has a 5 year frame, 2 year battery and motor warranty. So that's the one I'd choose out of that lot. I'd call that NYCe wheels place and see what the warranty deal is... ship it to them if it breaks or what?

Other things to note:
-Skip suspension forks. They're going to be low quality, heavy, and add nothing of value.
-Disc brakes are entirely unnecessary and require more maintenance than regular rim brakes. If it has them, whatever, but rim brakes might be preferable for what you want.
-Gears, who cares. I'd personally try and find one with a 3-speed or even single speed hub. They require far less maintenance than an external drivetrain does, far less likely to get damaged if you drop it when you're trying to throw it in the trunk, etc. If it has an external derailleur, I'd probably prefer a cage on it like the Citizen has. Or you'll at least need to be more careful to lay it on the non-driveline side. You probably won't be pedaling much anyway.

As an alternative to all of this, you could get an e-scooter. If you have no intention of ever pedaling, this is the way to go. Lighter, packs smaller, almost as fast, smaller range but 10-20 miles will probably scoot you around autocross courses easily enough.

https://www.razor.com/products/electric ... c-scooter/
Johnny_P

Picked up my new :boxodicks: and installed the cassette, chain, and derailleur last night. The new Shimano Ultegra 8000 is now a shadow design, so it sticks out less. Potentially a good thing? :iono: Had to cut the housing back a bit, but it all fit nicely. Works totally fine with the 11-36t cassette despite the Japs saying it maxes at 34t. :iono:

I should probably add a link or two to the chain. Might do that when I get back from my adventure weekend. But no binding, and the derailleur still had some travel so I don't think I'll break anything if I shift to big-big accidentally. I have no idea why everyone is shipping these chains so short anymore. I used to have to take a good 3-5 links out of the chain, now it's barely enough.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:35 am
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:08 pm You can get a Brompton with a motor but it's $4000... :nope:

That Ancheer bike doe. Such Engrish.

:amazing:

Anyways. I'd steer clear of that Ancheer bike. Looks like a Chinese piece of shit. The pics of the damn thing are photoshopped with disc brakes and it doesn't have them, etc. The Citizen looks the nicest to me, with the best designed frame, but 1 year warranty on the whole thing BUH-LOWS. The Obama has a 5 year frame, 2 year battery and motor warranty. So that's the one I'd choose out of that lot. I'd call that NYCe wheels place and see what the warranty deal is... ship it to them if it breaks or what?

Other things to note:
-Skip suspension forks. They're going to be low quality, heavy, and add nothing of value.
-Disc brakes are entirely unnecessary and require more maintenance than regular rim brakes. If it has them, whatever, but rim brakes might be preferable for what you want.
-Gears, who cares. I'd personally try and find one with a 3-speed or even single speed hub. They require far less maintenance than an external drivetrain does, far less likely to get damaged if you drop it when you're trying to throw it in the trunk, etc. If it has an external derailleur, I'd probably prefer a cage on it like the Citizen has. Or you'll at least need to be more careful to lay it on the non-driveline side. You probably won't be pedaling much anyway.

As an alternative to all of this, you could get an e-scooter. If you have no intention of ever pedaling, this is the way to go. Lighter, packs smaller, almost as fast, smaller range but 10-20 miles will probably scoot you around autocross courses easily enough.

https://www.razor.com/products/electric ... c-scooter/
FWIW I'd plan on pedaling 99% of the time, if it turns out decent probably grabbing a 2nd one so we could bring them on road trips. The SCCA nationals autox site is an entire mile from end to end for example and chances are I wouldn't have access to charging there so I'd want 4-7 days worth of range. I'm mainly :notsure: whether it's worth going for a heavier+costly thing with a motor vs just getting a lighter thing that's easier to ride+carry in the first place. On one hand, a 42 lb bike is 75% heavier than a 24 lb bike - on the other hand when you add a 175 lb rider+cargo the weight is more like 217 vs 199 lbs, making the additional weight of the electric shit less than 10% of the total...
Johnny_P

Went up to central PA and rode some dirt roads with frandz. Over 2 days we did 65 miles, and about 6,000 ft of climbing in Bald Eagle State Forest. Some of the hills were pretty intense. First hill on the 2nd day was 10 miles long with 1,600 ft elevation gain with plenty of mud pits and standing water and rocks to get up and over.

Bike was a champ. The 40c Nanos were excellent, plenty of grip and cushioning. Unfortunately I don't have tubeless wheels yet so I had to keep them at 40 PSI or more. So I was getting bounced off lines and had to take downhills slower to avoid pinch flats. At 30 PSI these would be fantastic and I'd be able to go faster downhill. So that upgrade will happen.

11-36 cassette and new Ultegra rear derailleur got installed the night before I left. I wouldn't have been able to ride this without that gearing. Put me at 1:1 low gear, so I was able to slog it up the hills.

Also had a handlebar feed bag on it. Which was also fantastic and worth the $40. Gave me a better place to put my phone for :millennial: picture use, and a place to store snacks without loading up the jersey pockets.

Destroyed my glasses on this ride so I need new shades now.

Anyways....

Johnny_P

That river crossing was fun. We came around the bend in the trail and these two girls screamed because they were skinny dipping :hubba:

They put their suits back on and got in their kayaks. We crossed, and the whole kayak party watched us laughing, lol, and they gave us a beer when we got to the other bank :fuckyeah:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:18 am Bald Eagle State Forest, eh? Somewhere around Coburn, PA?
Yeah just south of there.
Apex

Orbea announced a new OIZ for 2019.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:12 am Orbea announced a new OIZ for 2019.
Another bike for Johnny to not buy.

Racey 29er XC FS bike, doe.
Apex

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:41 pm
Another bike for Johnny to not buy.

Racey 29er XC FS bike, doe.
Yarp.
Johnny_P

https://www.vitalmtb.com/news/press-rel ... e-Top,2198

2 bottles in the triangle? :notbad: :notbad: only other bike I know that can do that is the Specialized Epic. Fox 34 Step Cast forks. Nice component specs. Better colors this year. :notbad:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:09 pm

2 bottles in the triangle? :notbad: :notbad: only other bike I know that can do that is the Specialized Epic. Fox 34 Step Cast forks. Nice component specs. Better colors this year. :notbad:
You can also order them through MyO on their website and get it custom painted. If I was paying full price for a bike I would totally do it.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:17 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:09 pm

You can also order them through MyO on their website and get it custom painted. If I was paying full price for a bike I would totally do it.
Who pays full price for a bike? But yeah that would be sweet. Purple with gray accents. And "SEND IT" on the seatstay.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I'm in love with this Rallon.
Apex

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:20 pm Image

I'm in love with this Rallon.
:jimp: