Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Had a training class in far North Jersey this morning. Was scheduled til 3, and got done at noon.

Ended up going straight home instead of back to work. Home by 2, so hopped on the road bike.

5 miles later I hear a loud pop and end up with a flat about 20 feet later. Thankfully had a spare tube, levers and pump... these Conti Gatorskins are a tough tire. Snapped both tire levers I had (Pedro's) and ended up throwing them into a field. Called the wife and told her to come get me.

Get home, shower, get changed, and went to happy hour.

Came home, swapped out the tube and made a few tweaks to the Defy.

Went to go put the wider handlebars on the Occam, and as I'm loosening the brake lever I figure out where the weird snap and rattle was coming from on the last run at Blue... the shifter housing is cracked and the shifter is loose on the bar. Probably from the fall I had.

So... fuck today.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

fledonfoot wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:01 pm Had a training class in far North Jersey this morning. Was scheduled til 3, and got done at noon.

Ended up going straight home instead of back to work. Home by 2, so hopped on the road bike.

5 miles later I hear a loud pop and end up with a flat about 20 feet later. Thankfully had a spare tube, levers and pump... these Conti Gatorskins are a tough tire. Snapped both tire levers I had (Pedro's) and ended up throwing them into a field. Called the wife and told her to come get me.

Went to go put the wider handlebars on the Occam, and as I'm loosening the brake lever I figure out where the weird snap and rattle was coming from on the last run at Blue... the shifter housing is cracked and the shifter is loose on the bar. Probably from the fall I had.

So... fuck today.
Damn dude that sucks
Johnny_P

Knocked another Belmont feature off the list today. Made it over logzilla. You're riding slightly uphill, turn a corner, and boom there's a 4' pile of logs at a 45 degree angle that you have to cross, made it over that, then still going uphill you go another 10 feet and hard right and there it is. Logzilla. A mondo tree down with a notch cut in it. Guise. I made it over it. I had been way too chicken shit to try it out but said fuck it today and conquered that beast!

So there are only a few more features that I've never nailed. On to the next one! Super pumped about this!
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I've just about had it with bike shops, again.

I've called 5 bike shops this afternoon that I am within a 10 minute detour from on my drive home from work. Looking for an XT M8000 shifter - I don't care if it's an I Spec B, I Spec II, or a standard clamp. I just want a shifter so I can ride my fucking bike. I don't care if it's MSRP at $59.99 - I just need the part. I also wanted a set of brake pads and another bottle of bike wash.

None of them had one in stock. All of them said they could order one for me, 3-4 days out. At MSRP.

Competitive Cyclist. $38.99. By the time I added the bike wash and brake pads I'm at the free 2 day shipping level.

It shouldn't be that hard.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:33 pm Knocked another Belmont feature off the list today. Made it over logzilla. You're riding slightly uphill, turn a corner, and boom there's a 4' pile of logs at a 45 degree angle that you have to cross, made it over that, then still going uphill you go another 10 feet and hard right and there it is. Logzilla. A mondo tree down with a notch cut in it. Guise. I made it over it. I had been way too chicken shit to try it out but said fuck it today and conquered that beast!

So there are only a few more features that I've never nailed. On to the next one! Super pumped about this!
:fuckyeah:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:51 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:01 pm Had a training class in far North Jersey this morning. Was scheduled til 3, and got done at noon.

So... fuck today.
Any idea how old the tubes are on that bike?
Probably 1-2 years old.

I swapped them out, so we’re good.

When I did, I realized what I did... a combination of too high pressure and tightening the valve against the rim with the nut... failure happened right at the valve stem where it got pulled into the opening a little.

Too used to tubeless stems.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Anyone want to ride Monday or Tuesday? I feel like I've only ridden the bike a handful of times since putting the rack on. Probably because I have... :disappoint:

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:41 pm

Probably 1-2 years old.

I swapped them out, so we’re good.

When I did, I realized what I did... a combination of too high pressure and tightening the valve against the rim with the nut... failure happened right at the valve stem where it got pulled into the opening a little.

Too used to tubeless stems.
Oh yeah just throw those little lock nut things out.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I did a solid 21 miles this morning, averaging 17.2 mph (including a 5 minute break about 8 miles in). Legs feel good, and I think I could have gone for another half hour or so.... didn't want to push myself too much, but I also was dealing with a bit of a numb taint. Still dialing in the seat position a little... dropped the nose a tiny bit and brought it forwards a little more... we'll see how I do during the week.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

So... fuck today.
fuck your tubes.

#tubeless

#tubetied
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:39 pm

fuck your tubes.

#tubeless

#tubetied
Wife would murder me if I was to buy a set of wheels for the road bike so soon after buying it.

Money for that bike came out of my Santa Cruz Reserve fund I had started to put away for the Orbea.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:02 pm

fuck your tubes.

#tubeless

#tubetied
Wife would murder me if I was to buy a set of wheels for the road bike so soon after buying it.

Money for that bike came out of my Santa Cruz Reserve fund I had started to put away for the Orbea.
I9s. I know a guy. Shame they’re too wide for my bike. Just need to get them trued.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:29 pm I did a solid 21 miles this morning, averaging 17.2 mph (including a 5 minute break about 8 miles in). Legs feel good, and I think I could have gone for another half hour or so.... didn't want to push myself too much, but I also was dealing with a bit of a numb taint. Still dialing in the seat position a little... dropped the nose a tiny bit and brought it forwards a little more... we'll see how I do during the week.
I’ll ride witchoo next time, boobear
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:40 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:29 pm I did a solid 21 miles this morning, averaging 17.2 mph (including a 5 minute break about 8 miles in). Legs feel good, and I think I could have gone for another half hour or so.... didn't want to push myself too much, but I also was dealing with a bit of a numb taint. Still dialing in the seat position a little... dropped the nose a tiny bit and brought it forwards a little more... we'll see how I do during the week.
Invest in some taint lube.
I have never tried taint lube. I say more miles.
Johnny_P

Double post
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I don't know how I feel about a calloused taint.
Johnny_P

More miles = less butt hurt
Johnny_P

fuck your tubes.

#tubeless

#tubetied
Sometimes I really do think tubeless is more of a pain in the ass than it's worth. I've seen plenty of people flat while tubeless, myself included, and it's always a disaster trying to get a tube in there to fix it. Add in that tires are more durable than they were in the 90s/2000s, you're less likely to get a flat anyway. The rear tire on the MTB has had a tube in it for 3 years now since I got fed up af with the sidewalls leaking air despite it being a "tubeless ready" tire.

Lower pressures are nice doe. IDK. Whatever. :whocares: Bead locking rims mean you probably won't pinch flat either.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:45 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:44 pm

Sometimes I really do think tubeless is more of a pain in the ass than it's worth. I've seen plenty of people flat while tubeless, myself included, and it's always a disaster trying to get a tube in there to fix it. Add in that tires are more durable than they were in the 90s/2000s, you're less likely to get a flat anyway. The rear tire on the MTB has had a tube in it for 3 years now since I got fed up af with the sidewalls leaking air despite it being a "tubeless ready" tire.

Lower pressures are nice doe. IDK. Whatever. :whocares: Bead locking rims mean you probably won't pinch flat either.
Tubeless on a MTB is great - I used to get thorns and pinch flats often.

Road tubeless is pointless.
Every single person I know that has tried out road tubeless has gone back to tubes.

How often do you clean out the latex goo and replace sealant?
Johnny_P

Also reminds me, need to find a replacement rear tire for the MTB. The X-king is fine but wouldn't mind changing it up to something with some more grip.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:42 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:59 pm Also reminds me, need to find a replacement rear tire for the MTB. The X-king is fine but wouldn't mind changing it up to something with some more grip.
I find the X-kings are pretty good in Wiss and pretty much everywhere around here.

Maybe try a Trail King?
Maybe. Do need something that rolls well and the x-king excels there. It doesn't do well on damp logs or dusty rocks. Then again not many tires do. I might need to check with the LBS to see their recommendations.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:03 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:10 pm

Maybe. Do need something that rolls well and the x-king excels there. It doesn't do well on damp logs or dusty rocks. Then again not many tires do. I might need to check with the LBS to see their recommendations.
Yeah damp logs you need studs for. :lol:
I was really surprised by the Butcher/Purgatory combo on the stumpy I test rode. Those tires were like super glue. Gripped absolutely everything.
Johnny_P

I should probably buy a bike or something
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:09 pm I should probably buy a bike or something
:yeahok:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:12 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:09 pm I should probably buy a bike or something
I mean, yeah...

Make sure you buy it in the dead of winter, though. So even when you do buy one, you can't ride it because it's 0 degrees out.
This is a good idea. Will give me time to :jizz: shine the frame in the basement.