Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:52 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:49 am https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik ... 94077.html

Serotta with dura ace parts (9 speed maybe?) and carbon wheels for $1900.
Pretty, but I'd rather a Steel frame.

Carbon tubes aren't super stiff. :flaccid:
True, true
I'd love a titanium road bike
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:19 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:12 pm
True, true
I'd love a titanium road bike
Ideally, I'd really like a CAAD12 disc with some 28s. :megusta:

Fast and snappy but the tires would soak up some of the roughness.
Much excite to try out the Spunky Squirrel with the 32c Conti 4season slick tires I bought for it :megusta:

28-32c sounds idea. Disc would be ideal. Something with more compliance built into the frame would be ideal. If I'm not wowed by the All City on slicks I'll check out new road bikes.

Also should call up Halters or Knapps. Pivot Trail 429 or Santa Cruz 5010 I think is the way I'll go on the mountain bike. TBD. Not gonna be able to get anywhere for a while due to this fucking work schedule.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:47 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:24 pm

Much excite to try out the Spunky Squirrel with the 32c Conti 4season slick tires I bought for it :megusta:

28-32c sounds idea. Disc would be ideal. Something with more compliance built into the frame would be ideal. If I'm not wowed by the All City on slicks I'll check out new road bikes.

Also should call up Halters or Knapps. Pivot Trail 429 or Santa Cruz 5010 I think is the way I'll go on the mountain bike. TBD. Not gonna be able to get anywhere for a while due to this fucking work schedule.
If you call Knapps, ask for Pete or Steph. Also, DBW is hosting a Halloween Giant Demo event.
DBW also has the Giant/Liv demo Sunday 11/4.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:15 pm
[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:47 pm

If you call Knapps, ask for Pete or Steph. Also, DBW is hosting a Halloween Giant Demo event.
DBW also has the Giant/Liv demo Sunday 11/4.
Where at?
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:19 pm

Ideally, I'd really like a CAAD12 disc with some 28s. :megusta:

Fast and snappy but the tires would soak up some of the roughness.

How many :wasteful: :waxer: are Pivots?
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:01 pm

I don't know. But I'd rather :troywax: on a Pivot than a Giant. At least I'd be able to recoup more at the end of it all. I expect these to be in the 4-5k range. Which is an ouch in the feels, really, since my aluminum hardtail is plenty fun to whip around on. Half tempted to buy a hardtail frame and new fork and just build something up from scratch but I would really like rear squish. If I went Giant Anthem I think I'd honestly just get the metal bike at a serious cost savings.

Current one is metal. It's 9 years old. Broke the frame once. Had to rebuild it twice with new parts. Currently the chain stay is so chewed up it might need a new frame in another 2-3 years. Only thing stock is the fork, headset, bb, and crank. I'm hard on my bikes. I know a lot of people that have switched back to aluminum MTBs after cracking their carbon ones :iono: My big hold up is spending that much on something I'm going to intentionally beat the shit out of. I mean I went the scrooge way on the cross bike and I love that big hunk of steel because it was so cheap and I just DGAF when I ride it.
Johnny_P

For anyone looking for gear.... Pactimo has a sale going on right now. 31% off everything with code PUMPKIN. Their stuff is very comfortable and well made. I have a full kit from them that's great and a vest that I love. Debating getting a full jacket.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:15 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:01 pm

I don't know. But I'd rather :troywax: on a Pivot than a Giant. At least I'd be able to recoup more at the end of it all. I expect these to be in the 4-5k range. Which is an ouch in the feels, really, since my aluminum hardtail is plenty fun to whip around on. Half tempted to buy a hardtail frame and new fork and just build something up from scratch but I would really like rear squish. If I went Giant Anthem I think I'd honestly just get the metal bike at a serious cost savings.

Current one is metal. It's 9 years old. Broke the frame once. Had to rebuild it twice with new parts. Currently the chain stay is so chewed up it might need a new frame in another 2-3 years. Only thing stock is the fork, headset, bb, and crank. I'm hard on my bikes. I know a lot of people that have switched back to aluminum MTBs after cracking their carbon ones :iono: My big hold up is spending that much on something I'm going to intentionally beat the shit out of. I mean I went the scrooge way on the cross bike and I love that big hunk of steel because it was so cheap and I just DGAF when I ride it.
Buy a carbon MTB with a lifetime frame warranty.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:39 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:15 pm

Buy a carbon MTB with a lifetime frame warranty.
Pivot is now 10 years. SC is lifetime. Giant is lifetime. I think any one of them would be fine. Transition's warranty is like 2 years :nope:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:08 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:45 pm For anyone looking for gear.... Pactimo has a sale going on right now. 31% off everything with code PUMPKIN. Their stuff is very comfortable and well made. I have a full kit from them that's great and a vest that I love. Debating getting a full jacket.
Oh baby.

I might order a kit. I need something fresh, and Pactimo is comfy.
Yeah my stuff from them has held up really well and is all day comfortable. Not exactly cheap but with the coupon it's not too bad.

My Ornot stuff should show up today :excited:
Johnny_P

Got the i9 wheels trued. Rear was 5mm out of dish :facepalm:

Threw it on the bike and the right side of the tire is still hitting the seat stay if I pull on it. Left side seems good though. Maybe it'll work with 23mm tires as opposed to the 25's that I have on it right now. Hopefully gonna try that tonight.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:22 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:30 pm Got the i9 wheels trued. Rear was 5mm out of dish :facepalm:

Threw it on the bike and the right side of the tire is still hitting the seat stay if I pull on it. Left side seems good though. Maybe it'll work with 23mm tires as opposed to the 25's that I have on it right now. Hopefully gonna try that tonight.
Hitting the seat stay?

:wtf:
Ja. Clearance is good by the BB, good on the fork, tight af by the fucking brake caliper. Seat stays end up inboard of the brake caliper arms :yikes: because clearance isn't fast, bruv.

This is exactly what's happening to me with the i9 wheels.
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/cervel ... 84706.html

Doesn't happen on the stock Fulcrum 7's because they're 14mm inside width with 23mm tires, so the tire effective width is much smaller. The i9's are 19mm inside with with 25mm tires. The Fulcrums are also much stiffer laterally, don't flex nearly as much.

Confirmed the retards at i9 built my wheel 5mm out of dish, that's been corrected. It seems to be almost good at this point but I bet under max power it'll flex and rub. The 23mm tires should pull the tire in a few mm's so that might just do it.
Johnny_P

Here's a good picture comparison of what I'm talking about re: widths.

The gray line (tiniest width) is current setup basically.

The bold red is close to what I tried that isn't working.

The bold maroon is what I'm going to try next.
Johnny_P

I also had 17mm inside width Reynolds carbon wheels on it with 23mm GP4000SII tires, and that didn't rub that I remember. It was only one ride though so can't be quite sure. But there are plenty of people that run 2010 era Zipp wheels on these without issue (17mm inside width) but they're limited to 23mm tire size.
Johnny_P

This doesn't work I'm offing the fucking thing. Only rams out there anymore that are 14mm plebe spec are Kinlins, and if they stop making them, what, you have no replacement options? :gay:
Johnny_P

Ok bois.

The i9 wheels now have 23mm tires on them and I can't get the tire to touch the seat stay. The rim touches the brake block first. So that's a solid improvement. We'll see if that fixes the issue. These are flexy wheels though, which is curious as they're larger/taller rims than my old wheels and 24/28 spoke counts.

The Macho Man front wheel has been re-taped and the WTB Nano is now set up tubeless and appears to be holding air. Win. We'll see if it's flat today. I had to use a CO2 canister to air it up though, I think the rim is just a hair under size. Rear set up fine with a floor pump but the front wasn't having it. :iono: Impressed at the weight loss from just wheels.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:48 pm I honestly would’ve offed the thing a while ago.

I’m ready to go with some 25 or 28c tires on the CAAD if I can fit them.
I might go road bike shopping. At least shops stock those around me.
You want my GP4000SII 25's? I'll only charge you a beer.
Johnny_P

Gotta figure out how to get a ride in this week. Looks like Wednesday will be warmest at night with no rain. Maybe that'll be the day. Need to check out the wheelset changes on the roadie. Anyone in Philly area want to do a night roadie rip on the SRT?

A local dude is selling a Trek Fuel EX 9.8 in my size for $3200. Silver. Sram GX, crabon cranks and bars. Fox34 GRIP. Boost frame. Maybe worth inquiring? I don't know, I wasn't super wowed by this bike when I test rode but didn't exactly hate it.

fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:28 am Gotta figure out how to get a ride in this week. Looks like Wednesday will be warmest at night with no rain. Maybe that'll be the day. Need to check out the wheelset changes on the roadie. Anyone in Philly area want to do a night roadie rip on the SRT?

A local dude is selling a Trek Fuel EX 9.8 in my size for $3200. Silver. Sram GX, crabon cranks and bars. Fox34 GRIP. Boost frame. Maybe worth inquiring? I don't know, I wasn't super wowed by this bike when I test rode but didn't exactly hate it.

Anthem Advanced.

2019 Anthem is lizard green and black, NX Eagle, Fox 34 and $3100. Alloy frame.
The AA is Carbon front and alloy rear triangle and $4700.

That's the bike that seems to have wowed you the most.
Apex

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:10 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:28 am Gotta figure out how to get a ride in this week. Looks like Wednesday will be warmest at night with no rain. Maybe that'll be the day. Need to check out the wheelset changes on the roadie. Anyone in Philly area want to do a night roadie rip on the SRT?

Anthem Advanced.

He would have bought an AA if it wasn't highlighter yellow for some reason.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:12 am
fledonfoot wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:10 am

Anthem Advanced.

He would have bought an AA if it wasn't highlighter yellow for some reason.
New ones are lizard green and black or black and orange accents.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:28 am
fledonfoot wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:21 am

New ones are lizard green and black or black and orange accents.
He should go ride it and buy it at Nox at the demo day. :doit:
Not a bad idea. Could check out the new 29er Trance. I dunno. Lots of money, especially considering how little I've ridden the MTB this year since getting Randy Savage, despite the full rebuild of the Trek.

The Anthem was fun for sure. I had fun on the 5010 I tried out many years ago as well, it just didn't pedal well but bikes and shocks have advanced quite a bit since then. The 5010 was the most hilarious bike I've ever taken off road, it just wanted to be airborne the entire ride, pop off everything and just general "let's go fuck around" attitude. Don't have much seat time off road on anything else. The Specialized Stumpjumper just felt like a pig, but had gobs of traction and climbed great, just didn't make the trails come alive and was a chore to hump it over a log because it weighed so much. Guess that's because it wasn't anywhere near it's limits? I could easily demo a Trek Fuel I guess, given they have a factory store in Manayunk now. People say Pivots ride great... they certainly pedaled as well as a hardtail but didn't soak up impacts well, but maybe that's good? I have no clue, I'd have to actually demo one for a day or so.

Whatever. I don't care.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P

So is anyone down to ride bikes at night this week or nah? Meet in Philly at 5:30-6PM or so, like behind the art museum? Thinking wednesday. Out to Norristown and back on SRT with maybe a hill or two thrown in.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:52 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:50 pm So is anyone down to ride bikes at night this week or nah? Meet in Philly at 5:30-6PM or so, like behind the art museum? Thinking wednesday. Out to Norristown and back on SRT with maybe a hill or two thrown in.
No lights and Wednesday is Halloween breh (plus I work :( ).

I feel like a night ride in the chitty on Halloween is asking for trouble.
Oh dang good call yeah I'll skip that. Fawk. Guess I'll be shredding on Tuesday and end up at pizza afterwards. Just gotta get out early enough.

You off any weekdays or nah?
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:53 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:49 pm

Not a bad idea. Could check out the new 29er Trance. I dunno. Lots of money, especially considering how little I've ridden the MTB this year since getting Randy Savage, despite the full rebuild of the Trek.

The Anthem was fun for sure. I had fun on the 5010 I tried out many years ago as well, it just didn't pedal well but bikes and shocks have advanced quite a bit since then. The 5010 was the most hilarious bike I've ever taken off road, it just wanted to be airborne the entire ride, pop off everything and just general "let's go fuck around" attitude. Don't have much seat time off road on anything else. The Specialized Stumpjumper just felt like a pig, but had gobs of traction and climbed great, just didn't make the trails come alive and was a chore to hump it over a log because it weighed so much. Guess that's because it wasn't anywhere near it's limits? I could easily demo a Trek Fuel I guess, given they have a factory store in Manayunk now. People say Pivots ride great... they certainly pedaled as well as a hardtail but didn't soak up impacts well, but maybe that's good? I have no clue, I'd have to actually demo one for a day or so.

Whatever. I don't care.
I feel like you should also try a Habit. :iono:

Why did you rule Cdale out again?
Same reason as ruling everything else out, none around me. Trek is the "easiest" bike for me to buy. There are cdale dealers that will order stuff. Everything else is hop in the car and drive and man, I just have zero motivation.

5010 C in "S" build... Sram GX eagle, Fox34 GRIP.... $4900 and 29 lbs. I'd be ok if it weighed 26 for that price. Jesus.

The Anthem highlighter? $700 cheaper, 2.5 lbs lighter, same or better spec. Just with a press-in bb, ugly paint, zero resale.

That used Trek? Lighter for sure, $1700 cheaper than the 5010 new, same parts, not so ugly, proprietary headset (ugh), press fit bb. No warranty.

:whocares: