DYELB: The Gainz Train

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:30 am lol, my math sucks. 315. my bad
315 is still solid. Good stuff man. I generally get stoked any time I see someone hitting 275 or above.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:30 am lol, my math sucks. 315. my bad
:lol: Still good tonnage!
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Apex wrote:
:dat:

6 plates is when you get to look down on all the weaklings.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Calvinball wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:13 pm
Apex wrote:

yea 6 plates is like getting to be a PITA to load and unload. :lol:

honestly my legs felt ok but it was arms wrists and core that were cashed out after 10 reps.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:21 pm
Calvinball wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:13 pm

honestly my legs felt ok but it was arms wrists and core that were cashed out after 10 reps.
That's where I'm at on my leg press. 8 plates per side plus two 10s last night. Shit took longer to unrack than it did for me to do my set of 8 reps.
Calvinball

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:13 pm :dat:

The one time I fucked up and slowly crumbled until the bar hit the side rails was cause I wasn’t focusing on my core for a weight increase.

I learned that lesson. It’s tough to look tough when that happens and you have to crawl out from under the bar.

goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

ok, report! Weighed myself this am after being good on diet for over a week and am back down to 291 :notbad:

I had a good gym day monday eve.

Finally hit my 225 bench for 5x5, even though that last rep on the last two sets was a little poopoo. cashed out that move for 10 reps at 135 :fuckyeah:

Did all my dumbell rows with a 100 lb unit

did trap bar deads at 255 whist focusing on form and depth

Did leg press and calf raises at 405. I really hate loading that machine but I've maxed out the other calf-raise machines the gym has....

I think wednesday I should go do cardio :rolleyes:
brain go brrrrrr
Apex

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:12 am ok, report! Weighed myself this am after being good on diet for over a week and am back down to 291 :notbad:

Finally hit my 225 bench for 5x5, even though that last rep on the last two sets was a little poopoo. cashed out that move for 10 reps at 135 :fuckyeah:

Did leg press and calf raises at 405. I really hate loading that machine but I've maxed out the other calf-raise machines the gym has....

:fuckyeah: progress :fax: !!
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:12 am ok, report! Weighed myself this am after being good on diet for over a week and am back down to 291 :notbad:

Looking good man. I'm gonna have to switch to the leg press for calf raises too since I'm almost maxed out on our machine for them.

Had a pretty solid night myself. EZ Bar preacher curls, had a 25 on each side of the bar.. I never know how much those bars weigh, but lets say it weighs 25lbs, so 75 total.. hit that for 18 reps, then 12 reps, then 10 reps. 10 deep breaths between sets, maybe 15 seconds rest.

Single set of reverse grip barbell curls focusing on keeping my wrists turned up/back to squeeze my forearms. 13 reps with 75lb barbell.

150lbs on the donkey calf raise maching (the one I've almost maxed out) 12 reps non-stop, but each rep is a five second eccentric and then a 15 second static hold with them fully stretched at the bottom. Explode up and hold the peak contraction for a second before repeating.. whole set takes over four minutes. It's brutal.

110lbs on the laying leg curl machine (almost maxed it out too..) 12 reps, 5 reps, 4 reps, with the same 10 deep breaths between sets.

Then squats. A month ago I hit 265x4, felt okay. Two weeks ago I hit 265x3.. third rep just didn't feel right and I racked it after that. Last night I got 265x6 :fuckyeah: In two weeks when I squat again I'm really gonna push for 265x8, then after that I can move up to 275.

After the heavy squat set, I backed off to 175 and did a set of 20. First 10 were okay, then I had to start doing doubles for the next 6 reps. Last four reps were individual reps with probably 2-3 seconds between them, but I never fully locked out, and I never set the bar down. I'll move that up to 185 next time too. That constant tension is a bitch.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

i found this funny
brain go brrrrrr
Apex

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:12 pm i found this funny
:lol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:12 pm i found this funny
:lolgasm:
SAWCE

Just hit some traps at my office gym. The DC program doesn't really include direct trap work, and mine are small, so I don't think that heavy deadlifts twice every other week are going to grow them as much as I'd like. So every other day I'm gonna hit them at work here. Staying light, but focusing on really squeezing my shoulder blades together as I shrug up.. I've always used pretty shitty form and bounced the weight around on traps before this. Let's see what I can get to grow over the next few months of this.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

SAWCE wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:17 pm Just hit some traps at my office gym. The DC program doesn't really include direct trap work, and mine are small, so I don't think that heavy deadlifts twice every other week are going to grow them as much as I'd like. So every other day I'm gonna hit them at work here. Staying light, but focusing on really squeezing my shoulder blades together as I shrug up.. I've always used pretty shitty form and bounced the weight around on traps before this. Let's see what I can get to grow over the next few months of this.
Good luck bruh. Traps can be tough to hit, I think, and are super dependent on shoulder geometry and genetics. I find that mine respond better to light weight and initiating a movement by really pulling my shoulder blade back and down, then pulling.

Did what I call a "healthy hamstring" workout this morning. Lately I've found that it's really easy for me to get imbalanced as far as glute and hamstring flexibility. I hit post-college (and post back injury) PRs on squat and deadlift two weeks ago, then my back was so jacked I could barely pull 135 without a belt because my hips were so uneven. A couple trips to the chiropractor later and I'm good again, but I'm trying to cure some motor pattern issues I know I have.

Started by foam rolling the shit out my glutes, taking the end and jamming it right under the hip bone, then rolled my hamstrings and IT bands across a barbell. Holy painful. Rode a spin bike for 8 minutes just to get things warm, then did 10 very slow down dog/hand walkouts, some mild half frog/QL stretching, then did a good 20 minutes of band work on my hip hinge. Eventually I was doing single leg DLs with a 55lb dumbbell and a 1" band across my hips. 4x10 on each side at that weight and I was feeling it. Followed that up with a 3x10 of cable single leg DLs, where I'd vary the angle on every rep, then a 3x10 of band assisted Nordic hamstring curls, then a 2x10 of glute bridge circles on a pilates ball.

Might not have moved any real weight, but holy hell my glutes and hamstrings feel like they're going to fall off. :fuckyeah:
SAWCE

coogles wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:52 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:17 pm Just hit some traps at my office gym. The DC program doesn't really include direct trap work, and mine are small, so I don't think that heavy deadlifts twice every other week are going to grow them as much as I'd like. So every other day I'm gonna hit them at work here. Staying light, but focusing on really squeezing my shoulder blades together as I shrug up.. I've always used pretty shitty form and bounced the weight around on traps before this. Let's see what I can get to grow over the next few months of this.
Good luck bruh. Traps can be tough to hit, I think, and are super dependent on shoulder geometry and genetics. I find that mine respond better to light weight and initiating a movement by really pulling my shoulder blade back and down, then pulling.

Did what I call a "healthy hamstring" workout this morning. Lately I've found that it's really easy for me to get imbalanced as far as glute and hamstring flexibility. I hit post-college (and post back injury) PRs on squat and deadlift two weeks ago, then my back was so jacked I could barely pull 135 without a belt because my hips were so uneven. A couple trips to the chiropractor later and I'm good again, but I'm trying to cure some motor pattern issues I know I have.

Started by foam rolling the shit out my glutes, taking the end and jamming it right under the hip bone, then rolled my hamstrings and IT bands across a barbell. Holy painful. Rode a spin bike for 8 minutes just to get things warm, then did 10 very slow down dog/hand walkouts, some mild half frog/QL stretching, then did a good 20 minutes of band work on my hip hinge. Eventually I was doing single leg DLs with a 55lb dumbbell and a 1" band across my hips. 4x10 on each side at that weight and I was feeling it. Followed that up with a 3x10 of cable single leg DLs, where I'd vary the angle on every rep, then a 3x10 of band assisted Nordic hamstring curls, then a 2x10 of glute bridge circles on a pilates ball.

Might not have moved any real weight, but holy hell my glutes and hamstrings feel like they're going to fall off. :fuckyeah:
Yeah, I'm staying light and just really learning how to focus the weight into them and squeeze them and hold each rep for a 1-2 second contraction before slowly lowering. Only did 135 today. I'll hit 145 next time and make sure I'm doing full 2 second contractions.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:13 pm Yeah, I'm staying light and just really learning how to focus the weight into them and squeeze them and hold each rep for a 1-2 second contraction before slowly lowering. Only did 135 today. I'll hit 145 next time and make sure I'm doing full 2 second contractions.
For some one arm goodness I even like doing a DB row, using only about 50% of what I normally would, initiate the rep by squeezing my shoulder blade in and down, then pull my elbow behind my mid-line and just below parallel to the shoulder. The contraction I can get in the lower trap is crazy. Other thing I like to do is lay down on my stomach, take some tiny ass DBs, 5s or maybe 10s if you're a beast, and do a shoulder press horizontal to the floor without letting the DBs tough the floor. Near the top of the movement it's brutal just with 5s, but it really helps me focus in on keeping my shoulder blades down.
SAWCE

coogles wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:26 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:13 pm Yeah, I'm staying light and just really learning how to focus the weight into them and squeeze them and hold each rep for a 1-2 second contraction before slowly lowering. Only did 135 today. I'll hit 145 next time and make sure I'm doing full 2 second contractions.
For some one arm goodness I even like doing a DB row, using only about 50% of what I normally would, initiate the rep by squeezing my shoulder blade in and down, then pull my elbow behind my mid-line and just below parallel to the shoulder. The contraction I can get in the lower trap is crazy. Other thing I like to do is lay down on my stomach, take some tiny ass DBs, 5s or maybe 10s if you're a beast, and do a shoulder press horizontal to the floor without letting the DBs tough the floor. Near the top of the movement it's brutal just with 5s, but it really helps me focus in on keeping my shoulder blades down.
I definitely feel my lower traps and rhomboids when I do rows like you said. I'm more trying to hit that uppper part that pops out over your shoulder though..

That shoulder press sounds cool.. may try that.
Calvinball

coogles wrote:
Shoulder press like above your head? Or out to the side?

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Calvinball wrote:
coogles wrote: For some one arm goodness I even like doing a DB row, using only about 50% of what I normally would, initiate the rep by squeezing my shoulder blade in and down, then pull my elbow behind my mid-line and just below parallel to the shoulder. The contraction I can get in the lower trap is crazy. Other thing I like to do is lay down on my stomach, take some tiny ass DBs, 5s or maybe 10s if you're a beast, and do a shoulder press horizontal to the floor without letting the DBs tough the floor. Near the top of the movement it's brutal just with 5s, but it really helps me focus in on keeping my shoulder blades down.

Above you head.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Apex

Got back into the gym for the first time in about 7 months, I am weak af.
Squat: 165 x 5 x 3
Press: 95 x 5 x 3
Deadlift: 185 x 5

Felt good doe.
SAWCE

coogles wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:05 pm
Calvinball wrote:

Above you head.

But you're laying on the floor, so the dumbbells are moving parallel to it instead of perpendicular...
SAWCE

Apex wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:31 am Got back into the gym for the first time in about 7 months, I am weak af.

Felt good doe.
You'll get back up there. Doing starting strength 3x5?

Had some good lifts on Friday.

Excited to deadlift today. Just couldn't mentally get into it last time, so I'm gonna work on that this time and hopefully hit my full 385x8
Apex

SAWCE wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:41 am
Apex wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:31 am Got back into the gym for the first time in about 7 months, I am weak af.

Felt good doe.
You'll get back up there. Doing starting strength 3x5?

Had some good lifts on Friday.

Excited to deadlift today. Just couldn't mentally get into it last time, so I'm gonna work on that this time and hopefully hit my full 385x8
:yesth: I enjoy doing mah fahves.

I'm sure it'll come back quickly, so I'll work on getting into a regular routine and run a linear progression again.
Calvinball

SAWCE wrote:
coogles wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:05 pm Above you head.

But you're laying on the floor, so the dumbbells are moving parallel to it instead of perpendicular...
Yeah I figured that part.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Felt good doe.
Glad you're back in the game :fuckyeah:

I am now on my deload week of my third BBB cycle. I'm not yet back up to my pre back injury strength, but the size is there, especially my legs are massive now. The strength also continues to grow, slowly but little by little. I'm kind of tired of BBB/531 :doe: , I've been doing 531 for a long time now.

I think I'll do one more BBB cycle and then maybe try something new. Any suggestions? I'd like to focus on building strength in the core lifts and staying leaner/not really interested in a ton more size.