DYELB: The Gainz Train

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:06 pm Noted guise. My body quickly told me I fucked up.

Next workout isnt until this weekend. We shall see how things go from there. I have heard great things about the program. But I refused to start at the bar for my workouts like was suggested.

I think I will stick around where im at for a week or so to ease into things. And also stick to the program like mentioned both on the website and from yall.

I do feel odd only working out 3x a week and expecting results like he says you can achieve. But I dont know shit.
This isn't a program that's going to stack slabs of muscle on you quickly by any means, but you'll get some size from it. The biggest advantage of running this program is building a solid strength base, so then if you choose to switch to a hypertrophy focused program, you'll be capable of building even more muscle.

Keep your diet in check and you'll be able to drop some fat while building a bit of muscle and strength on this program, which sounds like it's your goal from the career thread. Keep the shoulders wide, build some legs, shrink up the waist. Get that x-frame.

I'm always happy to talk lifting nutrition and trying to help you guys figure out meal plans that will help you hit your goals.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

feeling very strong lately even if i'm not adding weight, just focusing on form.

Back in the 280's weight wise.... not bad after not paying too much care to diet over last three months and 'dieting' two weeks. I was 298 when i stepped in the scale ~3 weeks ago.

I'm even allowing myself weekend beer :notbad:
brain go brrrrrr
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

SAWCE wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:11 pm
Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:06 pm Noted guise. My body quickly told me I fucked up.

Next workout isnt until this weekend. We shall see how things go from there. I have heard great things about the program. But I refused to start at the bar for my workouts like was suggested.

I think I will stick around where im at for a week or so to ease into things. And also stick to the program like mentioned both on the website and from yall.

I do feel odd only working out 3x a week and expecting results like he says you can achieve. But I dont know shit.
This isn't a program that's going to stack slabs of muscle on you quickly by any means, but you'll get some size from it. The biggest advantage of running this program is building a solid strength base, so then if you choose to switch to a hypertrophy focused program, you'll be capable of building even more muscle.

Keep your diet in check and you'll be able to drop some fat while building a bit of muscle and strength on this program, which sounds like it's your goal from the career thread. Keep the shoulders wide, build some legs, shrink up the waist. Get that x-frame.

I'm always happy to talk lifting nutrition and trying to help you guys figure out meal plans that will help you hit your goals.
Im down for help. Ive been eating relatively clean. With a few pieces of happiness thrown in.
I dont expect to gain 30lbs of muscle in a month. Ive just always been in the workout 5-6x a week camp. So only doing workouts 3x seems a little lazy in my mind.

As of Mid january I was 235. Im down to 218 today. My goal should be attainable to put on some mass while still cutting my waist down. I know numbers arent everything. But at 5 10 I should be able to get below 200 easily in the next 4 months.

Id like to keep my shoulders wide. My entire family is pretty broad so that should be genetics for the most part. Honestly I want the initial cut to be my priority. Im tired of being a fatass. But I also want to build some decent strength for a base and then size so im not just skinny. I know the two of those work against each other somewhat. But being as overweight as I am. Any activity should burn fat.

If you give me advices make sure theyre the right advices.
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:13 pm feeling very strong lately even if i'm not adding weight, just focusing on form.

Back in the 280's weight wise.... not bad after not paying too much care to diet over last three months and 'dieting' two weeks. I was 298 when i stepped in the scale ~3 weeks ago.

I'm even allowing myself weekend beer :notbad:
Good stuff man. My weight gain has slowed way down. Sucks to see, but makes me hopeful that I'm adding as much lean mass as possible without much fat gain. Less than half a pound gained over this week, so I'm sure calories will bump up a bit next week. Would love to be hitting 1-1.5lbs a week, but I don't think I can actually synthesize that much muscle so .5-1lb is fine. .5/week will put me at 235ish at the end of August which is likely when I'll start actually prepping (cutting) for the show.
SAWCE

Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:18 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:11 pm

Im down for help. Ive been eating relatively clean. With a few pieces of happiness thrown in.
I dont expect to gain 30lbs of muscle in a month. Ive just always been in the workout 5-6x a week camp. So only doing workouts 3x seems a little lazy in my mind.

As of Mid january I was 235. Im down to 218 today. My goal should be attainable to put on some mass while still cutting my waist down. I know numbers arent everything. But at 5 10 I should be able to get below 200 easily in the next 4 months.

Id like to keep my shoulders wide. My entire family is pretty broad so that should be genetics for the most part. Honestly I want the initial cut to be my priority. Im tired of being a fatass. But I also want to build some decent strength for a base and then size so im not just skinny. I know the two of those work against each other somewhat. But being as overweight as I am. Any activity should burn fat.

To keep burning calories and keep your metabolism high as you cut back on calories, I'd definitely do some sort of cardio on the off days from the gym. Even if it's just 2 of them, then have 2 full rest days. Depending on your schedule, I'd recommend getting to your gym (I think on the base?) before work, on an empty stomach, and just walking on the treadmill at an incline for 30 minutes. 2.5-3mph and between 5-7* incline. Somewhere that's going to get and keep your heartrate between 120-140. If that doesn't work with your schedule, go after work, or whenever you can, but try to not have eaten in a while. This applies only to just cardio sessions. Eating before lifting is imperative.

Next biggest tip/advice is to actually weigh out your food. It's easy to double your portions if you're just eyeballing it. Get used to measuring it all out for a week to find out how much you're actually eating, and then we can adjust from there.

To aide fatloss, you can add in 20-30 minutes of the same cardio after your lifting sessions.
Barnes93cb

SAWCE wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:25 pm
Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:18 pm

To keep burning calories and keep your metabolism high as you cut back on calories, I'd definitely do some sort of cardio on the off days from the gym. Even if it's just 2 of them, then have 2 full rest days. Depending on your schedule, I'd recommend getting to your gym (I think on the base?) before work, on an empty stomach, and just walking on the treadmill at an incline for 30 minutes. 2.5-3mph and between 5-7* incline. Somewhere that's going to get and keep your heartrate between 120-140. If that doesn't work with your schedule, go after work, or whenever you can, but try to not have eaten in a while. This applies only to just cardio sessions. Eating before lifting is imperative.

Next biggest tip/advice is to actually weigh out your food. It's easy to double your portions if you're just eyeballing it. Get used to measuring it all out for a week to find out how much you're actually eating, and then we can adjust from there.

To aide fatloss, you can add in 20-30 minutes of the same cardio after your lifting sessions.
Gym on base. Its actually very well stocked with equipment. I will have to go after work. I wake up at 330 am and attempt to have a social life after work. So no way im waking up at 1:30.

I do workout on an relatively empty stomach typically. I eat lunch around 12 and ill be in the gym between 3-4. I can easily add in the cardio on my days off and possibly on workout days too. But it would be after lifting. In order to get machines I have to start lifting immediately after work. That place gets lines of people waiting around 4:30.

Measuring food. Like with a scale? Ill have to amazon that. Would take about a week to get here even with prime.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

I've run with Starting Strength's programs for both novice and intermediate.

STICK TO THE PROGRAM! You will want those rest days when you start moving some weight.

In4Barnseysquats405
SAWCE

Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:33 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:25 pm

Gym on base. Its actually very well stocked with equipment. I will have to go after work. I wake up at 330 am and attempt to have a social life after work. So no way im waking up at 1:30.

I do workout on an relatively empty stomach typically. I eat lunch around 12 and ill be in the gym between 3-4. I can easily add in the cardio on my days off and possibly on workout days too. But it would be after lifting. In order to get machines I have to start lifting immediately after work. That place gets lines of people waiting around 4:30.

Measuring food. Like with a scale? Ill have to amazon that. Would take about a week to get here even with prime.
Yeah just go after work like you have been. On cardio days, keep your lunch as your last meal before cardio. On lifting days, I'd bring a shake that you can drink at your desk about an hour before you go lift. And yeah, do your cardio after lifting on your lifting days. Sample week:

Monday: Lift then cardio
Tuesday: Cardio
Wednesday: Lift then cardio
Thursday: Cardio
Friday: Lift then cardio.
Saturday: Rest
Sunday: Rest

And yes, measure with a scale. Your base commissary/exchange may have one, Targets and Walmart's stock them, but Amazon is good too if that's your fastest option. Get it when you get it, then track for a week to get your current baseline. If you want to submit it to me, I can anazlye your macros and calories for you and then help you tweak it. I'll try to include foods that I see you eating over that week, but skew the macros to what they need to be in order to support your goals.
Barnes93cb

Apex wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:37 pm

STICK TO THE PROGRAM! You will want those rest days when you start moving some weight.

In4Barnseysquats405
Barnsey is just looking to be able to hit bodyweight first. 1000lb club might be a few weeks away. :lolol:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Sauce, I did pull a muscle in my forearm a few months back. Still hurts. I should see a doctor.
brain go brrrrrr
Apex

Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:04 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:37 pm

In4Barnseysquats405
Barnsey is just looking to be able to hit bodyweight first. 1000lb club might be a few weeks away. :lolol:
Keep in mind that when you are starting the program, the weights might be light but you are adding 15 pounds to the bar every week. That's going to be some serious progress quickly. Put your time in at the lighter weights and it pays off huge when it gets heavy.
SAWCE

Apex wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:09 pm

Keep in mind that when you are starting the program, the weights might be light but you are adding 15 pounds to the bar every week. That's going to be some serious progress quickly. Put your time in at the lighter weights and it pays off huge when it gets heavy.
A whole lot of :dat:
Apex

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:07 pm Sauce, I did pull a muscle in my forearm a few months back. Still hurts. I should see a doctor.
Starr rehab protocol that. Slowly increase the daily :fap: for best results.
Barnes93cb

SAWCE wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:38 pm
Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:33 pm

Yeah just go after work like you have been. On cardio days, keep your lunch as your last meal before cardio. On lifting days, I'd bring a shake that you can drink at your desk about an hour before you go lift. And yeah, do your cardio after lifting on your lifting days. Sample week:

And yes, measure with a scale. Your base commissary/exchange may have one, Targets and Walmart's stock them, but Amazon is good too if that's your fastest option. Get it when you get it, then track for a week to get your current baseline. If you want to submit it to me, I can anazlye your macros and calories for you and then help you tweak it. I'll try to include foods that I see you eating over that week, but skew the macros to what they need to be in order to support your goals.
Easy enough for everything but the scale. I will check the BX but doubtful. There is no Walmart, Target, or commissary here. Im deployed right meow. Amazon is about my only option if its not on base. Hence why prime takes a week+.

I just want you to know. I will still eat crap one day of the week guaranteed. Pasta friday is the only day with enjoyable food. I am having spaghetti and meatballs every week.
Barnes93cb

Yes. Since I was able to hit all my reps today but I am feeling a bit more sore already than I would like. I will stick with the weight for a week before I move up. Should allow me to get back in the swing of things and make some gainz.
Apex

Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:16 pm

Yes. Since I was able to hit all my reps today but I am feeling a bit more sore already than I would like. I will stick with the weight for a week before I move up. Should allow me to get back in the swing of things and make some gainz.
Yeah, that first session back is always a bitch.
SAWCE

Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:14 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:38 pm

Easy enough for everything but the scale. I will check the BX but doubtful. There is no Walmart, Target, or commissary here. Im deployed right meow. Amazon is about my only option if its not on base. Hence why prime takes a week+.

I just want you to know. I will still eat crap one day of the week guaranteed. Pasta friday is the only day with enjoyable food. I am having spaghetti and meatballs every week.
:word: I forgot you're deployed right now. How long are you out there for? If getting a scale is too much of a hassle, just try to make an effort to start grabbing twice as much meat at every meal as you are low, cut back on fats and processed carbs and fill up with veggies instead.

And one cheat day a week is fine. You won't get optimal results, but you can still do some solid work. If pasta is the main draw of that day, then have that meal, but try to keep the rest of the food that day a bit healthier. Also, to minimize the effects of the pasta, load up on meat, and eat all of that off your plate before you start in on the noodles. 1) the meat will fill you up and you'll naturally eat less processed carbs. 2) the protein will slow the digestion of the carbs which will help your insulin response to the carbs and your body wont have to flood out all this insulin to clear the glucose in your bloodstream, which will help you stay more insulin sensitive.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Heading to the gym now, I think I want to run you guys through my routines for feedback later :doe:

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
SAWCE

Calvinball wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:53 pm Heading to the gym now, I think I want to run you guys through my routines for feedback later :doe:

:doit:
Apex

I got my Image ready.
Calvinball

Now I just need to find 5 minutes to type it all out lol

SAWCE

Calvinball wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:07 pm Now I just need to find 5 minutes to type it all out lol

Clock is ticking.
Calvinball

Alright, so my three base workouts:

1. Back/bicep: 10 minute doing ladders on the treadmill to warm up, usually ends up being a mile and a half or so. Then I do deads. 4 sets, usually one warmup at 135, then either my heaviest (255 currently) followed by 225 or vice versa, depending on how I feel. Then I’ll do another at 225 to end.

I often do supersets with the deads since I’m not really hitting biceps doing deadlifts, so I feel like it isn’t affecting the deads.

After that, I superset back and bicep stuff, I have a bunch that I mix and match. I usually get in 2-3 supersets where I do three sets of increasing weight, shooting for twelve reps.

2. Leg day. I do 20 minutes on the treadmill, with the majority with the incline at 12. I alternate running and walking and usually hit around 800 feet climbed.

Then I squat. 4 sets done the same way I do deads.

After that one or two supersets on the machines. I pair the hip inductor/adductor, and the leg extensions/curls. I usually hit abs at the end of leg day and do twisty crunches on an incline.

3. Chest/triceps. I start out on the treadmill doing intervals for ten minutes, usually ends up being a mile and a half as well. These days I switch between 8 and 10.5 for the speeds.

Then I bench, four sets like the deads/bench. I don’t superset cause I found that doing so with a tricep exercise was really impacting my bench.

After that, supersets of chest/tricep.

If I get other days in, it depends on the weather. Fourth day will be a run outside of it’s nice. If not I do 5k on the treadmill then shoulders superset with whichever arm group is feeling like it needs it.

If I get a fifth day, it’ll be shoulders/arms if I only went for a run, if I already did that then I’ll repeat one of the core three days.

SAWCE

Calvinball wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:32 pm Alright, so my three base workouts:

1. Back/bicep: 10 minute doing ladders on the treadmill to warm up, usually ends up being a mile and a half or so. Then I do deads. 4 sets, usually one warmup at 135, then either my heaviest (255 currently) followed by 225 or vice versa, depending on how I feel. Then I’ll do another at 225 to end.

I often do supersets with the deads since I’m not really hitting biceps doing deadlifts, so I feel like it isn’t affecting the deads.

After that, I superset back and bicep stuff, I have a bunch that I mix and match. I usually get in 2-3 supersets where I do three sets of increasing weight, shooting for twelve reps.
I personally like starting with pull-ups before deads, but if you don't do pull-ups, then starting with deads is good. Do you use a mixed grip on your deadlifts? If so, I would avoid doing biceps superset with them since the underhand gripped arm is already at risk of biceps tear when lifting like that. If you do a double-overhand, then superset away.

My qualm with supersetting the rest of your workout with biceps is that your biceps assist in all your pulling back movements, so if they're fatigued between each set, you aren't working your back as hard as possible.

My suggestion if you need to superset for time constraints would be to mix chest and back and superset them. As antagonistic muscle groups working one between the other won't hurt your performance as much as supersetting with an assisting muscle group.

Then just do a bi/tri superset day.
Calvinball wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:32 pm 2. Leg day. I do 20 minutes on the treadmill, with the majority with the incline at 12. I alternate running and walking and usually hit around 800 feet climbed.

After that one or two supersets on the machines. I pair the hip inductor/adductor, and the leg extensions/curls. I usually hit abs at the end of leg day and do twisty crunches on an incline.
This looks good. I'd add some calves personally, but if you aren't worried about adding size to them then keep doing what you're doing. If you want to add size. Do both standing and seated/donkey(leg press machine) calve raises. Alternate the seated and donkey each week. 3 sets each 15-20 reps.
Calvinball wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:32 pm 3. Chest/triceps. I start out on the treadmill doing intervals for ten minutes, usually ends up being a mile and a half as well. These days I switch between 8 and 10.5 for the speeds.

Then I bench, four sets like the deads/bench. I don’t superset cause I found that doing so with a tricep exercise was really impacting my bench.

Same critique here as for back/bis. You already noticed this on your bench press though.
Calvinball wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:32 pm If I get other days in, it depends on the weather. Fourth day will be a run outside of it’s nice. If not I do 5k on the treadmill then shoulders superset with whichever arm group is feeling like it needs it.

If I get a fifth day, it’ll be shoulders/arms if I only went for a run, if I already did that then I’ll repeat one of the core three days.

Other general advice is to do pattern specific warm ups, and save your cardio "warm-up" for after your lift to burn some body fat after lifting.
Calvinball

SAWCE wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:32 pm Alright, so my three base workouts:

I personally like starting with pull-ups before deads, but if you don't do pull-ups, then starting with deads is good. Do you use a mixed grip on your deadlifts? If so, I would avoid doing biceps superset with them since the underhand gripped arm is already at risk of biceps tear when lifting like that. If you do a double-overhand, then superset away.

My qualm with supersetting the rest of your workout with biceps is that your biceps assist in all your pulling back movements, so if they're fatigued between each set, you aren't working your back as hard as possible.

My suggestion if you need to superset for time constraints would be to mix chest and back and superset them. As antagonistic muscle groups working one between the other won't hurt your performance as much as supersetting with an assisting muscle group.

Then just do a bi/tri superset day.
Calvinball wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:32 pm 2. Leg day. I do 20 minutes on the treadmill, with the majority with the incline at 12. I alternate running and walking and usually hit around 800 feet climbed.

This looks good. I'd add some calves personally, but if you aren't worried about adding size to them then keep doing what you're doing. If you want to add size. Do both standing and seated/donkey(leg press machine) calve raises. Alternate the seated and donkey each week. 3 sets each 15-20 reps.
Calvinball wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:32 pm 3. Chest/triceps. I start out on the treadmill doing intervals for ten minutes, usually ends up being a mile and a half as well. These days I switch between 8 and 10.5 for the speeds.

Same critique here as for back/bis. You already noticed this on your bench press though.
Calvinball wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:32 pm If I get other days in, it depends on the weather. Fourth day will be a run outside of it’s nice. If not I do 5k on the treadmill then shoulders superset with whichever arm group is feeling like it needs it.

Other general advice is to do pattern specific warm ups, and save your cardio "warm-up" for after your lift to burn some body fat after lifting.
Don’t really need to burn fat. Cardio speed and endurance are important to me so I put that at the start so I can give it more, rather than at the end when I’m gassed.

Here was my thinking on the superset pairings. I want to make sure I bench and deadlift every week and I like to hit those compound lifts first so I can give as much as I can to them. I felt like if I did a chest/back day then no matter what I would have done at least one exercise for that muscle group before I got to the second big lift, cause if I just did deads then bench, most days that would mean I’ve only got enough time left for 1-2 supersets cause I definitely take much longer on the big lifts. One more set and usually a bit more rest in between.

Maybe I can do deads on their own but then superset bench, or something like that. I’ll have to game plan.