DYELB: The Gainz Train

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:58 am
SAWCE wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:33 am

I'd suggest a kettlebell or two like :fax: said, or get a cheap used barbell off craigslist and a couple of 10 and 25lb bumper plates, then find some full body complexes to do in your garages. Full body workout in 15-20 minutes is pretty easy with those. You won't build crazy strength, but your conditioning will be insane.
https://www.t-nation.com/training/rebui ... -complexes

https://www.t-nation.com/training/brutal-complexes

https://www.t-nation.com/training/complexes-made-simple

https://www.t-nation.com/training/screw ... d-physique

Each of those articles has at least one good barbell complex you can do.. one I especially like the look of for full body is:

•Row: x 8
•Clean: x 8
•Front squat: x 8
•Military press: x 8
•Back squat: x 8
•Good mornings: x 8

HIt a few rounds of that every Monday Wednesday and Friday and you'll be in pretty good shape. Move through the whole thing without setting the bar down, then you get to rest after the last rep of Good mornings. Slowly increase your reps for some progressive overload.
Lol literally one post later.
:therapist:
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Calvinball wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:01 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:58 am

https://www.t-nation.com/training/rebui ... -complexes

https://www.t-nation.com/training/brutal-complexes

https://www.t-nation.com/training/complexes-made-simple

https://www.t-nation.com/training/screw ... d-physique

Each of those articles has at least one good barbell complex you can do.. one I especially like the look of for full body is:

•Row: x 8
•Clean: x 8
•Front squat: x 8
•Military press: x 8
•Back squat: x 8
•Good mornings: x 8

HIt a few rounds of that every Monday Wednesday and Friday and you'll be in pretty good shape. Move through the whole thing without setting the bar down, then you get to rest after the last rep of Good mornings. Slowly increase your reps for some progressive overload.
Lol literally one post later.
I got you covered.
SAWCE

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:16 pm Had an official flexibility and general health assessment done this morning... fucking 25% BF.

:hellno:

If I didn't have motivation before, I sure as hell do now.

I scored well above average on flexibility and range of motion, doe. Just need to work on improving my core strength and practicing engaging my core more.
Dang. Your face hides it well. I would have guessed that you were a dude who naturally stays right around 15% without trying and is easily 10-12% when youre hitting the bike hard.
SAWCE

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:28 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:21 pm

Dang. Your face hides it well. I would have guessed that you were a dude who naturally stays right around 15% without trying and is easily 10-12% when youre hitting the bike hard.
It's all in my stomach and handles, really. My face shows a little, but not too bad, luckily.

I'm weighing in at 175 lbs at 6'. It's not terminal but I'm not happy. Best I ever saw was about 5-6% BF, but that was in college when I weighed 149 lbs.

So, I started spin class last week, met with the PT at the gym for the general assessment today, and I reconnect with him next Tuesday for some basic training ideas.

Then I apply, and revisit in 6-8 weeks to see if things have changed.

Goals for this year are the following: Get my strength and endurance back, do a few MTB races, and get at least one 100 mile ride under the belt, and get my BF back down to the mid teens.
Solid plan. Mid-teens should come easy, espcially if you start some weight training and build a little muscle (I know you don't want to build a lot, or at least haven't wanted to in the past). Couple that with just a general diet clean up with more homecooked meals and less eating out and you'll nail the body comp goal pretty quick.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:16 pm Had an official flexibility and general health assessment done this morning... fucking 25% BF.

:hellno:

If I didn't have motivation before, I sure as hell do now.

I scored well above average on flexibility and range of motion, doe. Just need to work on improving my core strength and practicing engaging my core more.
fucking hell i'd kill for 25% BF

really, MURDER PEOPLE
brain go brrrrrr
Calvinball

I wonder where I’m at.

Sent from the Beer Depository
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Calvinball wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:44 pm I wonder where I’m at.

:dat:

I haven't been tested since college, but I look about the same as I did then at 10-11%. Might have ticked up a couple percentage points...need to lay off the doughnuts. :omnomnom:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Yesterday i got to experience first had how lack of sleep hurts performance.

I slept like poo for unknown reasons tuesday night. But I went to the gym anyway, even though i was not feeling it.

Fully coffve'd up The first few pulls on the trap bar were :notbad:

Then i hit a wallllll. I sucked so much wind. everything sucked. But whatever i got in 45 minutes of moving metal. Little lower calorie burn than usual, moved metal and left tired.

Slept so, so good last night.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Had a decent shoulder workout last night despite leaving work three hours late. Hit an addional two reps on machine press, stayed at the same weight and reps for lateral side dumbbell raises but was able to slow the reps down a bit and hold the contraction at the top. One extra rep on lateral side machine raises. Dropped the weight on rear delt machine raises so I could slow those reps down and focus on holding the contraction. Added weight to shrugs and kept those reps slow and controlled with 1 second holds at the top. Calves and cardio after.
Calvinball

I got back over a couple numbers yesterday for leg day.

Back over 800 ft climbed on my incline treadmill warmup.

Back over 300 for squats.

SAWCE

Calvinball wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:20 am I got back over a couple numbers yesterday for leg day.

Pre-exhausting my quads and hammies before squatting has sucked. My knees feel better, but only hitting 245 for sets of 6-10 is a bummer. I want to be back above 315 again.
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: MK7 GTI

SAWCE wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:43 am
Calvinball wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:20 am I got back over a couple numbers yesterday for leg day.

Pre-exhausting my quads and hammies before squatting has sucked. My knees feel better, but only hitting 245 for sets of 6-10 is a bummer. I want to be back above 315 again.
What's the goal of pre-exhaustion?
The panda hath arrived.
SAWCE

Jaxper wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:56 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:43 am

Make lighter weight feel heavier. Burn out your quads first and then you can go lighter and not worry about your back giving out before your quads.

Or do it with chest and hit some flyes for. Afew sets before benching and then when you bench your chest will actually go to failure instead of your shoulders or triceps failing first.
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: MK7 GTI

SAWCE wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:15 pm
Jaxper wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:56 pm

Make lighter weight feel heavier. Burn out your quads first and then you can go lighter and not worry about your back giving out before your quads.

Or do it with chest and hit some flyes for. Afew sets before benching and then when you bench your chest will actually go to failure instead of your shoulders or triceps failing first.
Gotcha, makes sense. I take it this is more for targeting bodybuilding vs strength, correct?
The panda hath arrived.
SAWCE

Jaxper wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:01 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:15 pm

Gotcha, makes sense. I take it this is more for targeting bodybuilding vs strength, correct?
Definitely more of a body building technique. I've heard of powerlifters using it to target specific weaknesses, but it's much more prevalent in the body building world.
Calvinball

SAWCE wrote:

Does running at an incline of 12 on the treadmill count as pre-exhausting? :lolol:

stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:28 pm Had an official flexibility and general health assessment done this morning... fucking 25% BF.
I'm weighing in at 175 lbs at 6'.
Well shit, I'm the same height and hover around the same weight. This makes me interested to have a similar assessment done so someone can tell me I'm a fatass.
SAWCE

stripethree wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:37 pm
[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:28 pm Had an official flexibility and general health assessment done this morning... fucking 25% BF.
I'm weighing in at 175 lbs at 6'.
Well shit, I'm the same height and hover around the same weight. This makes me interested to have a similar assessment done so someone can tell me I'm a fatass.
If your tough mudder pics are recent I'll guess sub 20.
SAWCE

[user not found] wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:41 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:54 pm

I'd say the same.
SAWCE

Worked another 10 hours today. Still made it in for the gym and had a good session. Really hoping I don’t have to do that shit again tomorrow before my leg day.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

[user not found] wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:41 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:54 pm

I'd say the same.
^^^ Life goals.

Yeah those pics are from October of last year. Been back on the bike more, started bouldering, and been doing more yoga since.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Would somebody come pick me up off the floor, please?

5 x 20 at 50% bodyweight goblet squats (90lb) @ 75 sec rest
4 x 10,10,12,12 @ 65% 1RM barbell squat (205lb) @ 60 sec rest
4 x 12 (each leg) pistols @ 60 sec rest
4 x 10,10,12,12 (each leg) lateral lunge w/40lb bar @ 75 sec rest
4 X 8,10,10,10 calf raises @ 60 sec rest

SAWCE

coogles wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:57 am Would somebody come pick me up off the floor, please?

5 x 20 at 50% bodyweight goblet squats (90lb) @ 75 sec rest
4 x 10,10,12,12 @ 65% 1RM barbell squat (205lb) @ 60 sec rest
4 x 12 (each leg) pistols @ 60 sec rest
4 x 10,10,12,12 (each leg) lateral lunge w/40lb bar @ 75 sec rest
4 X 8,10,10,10 calf raises @ 60 sec rest

That sounds like a killer workout. Fuck. Pistol squats are nasty.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:28 am That sounds like a killer workout. Fuck. Pistol squats are nasty.
Bru. tal. I've moved into the lighter weight shorter rest portion of this program and it's killing me. Honestly, the goblet squats were the worst part. 90 pounds in my hands, holding that up for 20 reps with all of that pressure on my core & diaphragm, to then only get 75 seconds before having to do it all over again? My heart rate would barely start to settle before having to jump back in again.

I'm dead.
SAWCE

coogles wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:51 am
SAWCE wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:28 am That sounds like a killer workout. Fuck. Pistol squats are nasty.
Bru. tal. The worst part was the shorter rests. I've moved into the lighter weight shorter rest portion of this program and it's killing me. Honestly, the goblet squats were the worst part. 90 pounds in my hands, holding that up for 20 reps with all of that pressure on my core & diaphragm, to then only get 75 seconds before having to do it all over again? My heart rate would barely start to settle before having to jump back in again.

I'm dead.
My recovery time is finally starting to drop a bit which is nice. I was taking a full 3 minutes between my heavy sets on squats and deadlifts, and last night I felt good to go after just 2 minutes on the deadlifts.