Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

fledonfoot wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:09 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:07 pm $240 carbon seatpost
$1200 Zipps
$60 stem to make it all look better

+Bike is worth I think around $1200 on the market

= $2700 but it would have crabon rams and Sram Rival 10.

I could buy a rad Cannondale Synapse for that much. And it would come with at least 25's with room for bigger, and probably Ultegra 11 at that price and maybe discs.

This is the problem I run into with this shit. Why does my brain work like this? What would you brehs do? Seriously here. Upgrade the Cervelo or just sell it and get a different ride?
I'd buy a mountain bike.
:lolol:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

fledonfoot wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:09 pm
$1200 Zipps

I could buy a rad Cannondale Synapse for that much. And it would come with at least 25's with room for bigger, and probably Ultegra 11 at that price and maybe discs.

This is the problem I run into with this shit. Why does my brain work like this? What would you brehs do? Seriously here. Upgrade the Cervelo or just sell it and get a different ride?
I'd buy a mountain bike.
:dat:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Every so often I toy with the idea of a road bike.

Then I remember other people exist.

I should just get a good trainer and Zwift.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:35 pm
$1200 Zipps

Sell it.

My next "road" bike will have room for 28s and discs.
A Diverge looks pretty damn tasty. Fat ass tires, discs, capability to get rowdy in the woods, yet supposedly great on road too.
"Future shock" on the front which is an undamped spring for your handlebars so IDK about that but I bet it does help smooth things out.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/mens- ... 500-128841

Or the poverty model at $3k with 105 groupset
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/mens- ... 509-129079

:notbad: looking....
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:36 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:30 pm Every so often I toy with the idea of a road bike.

Then I remember other people exist.

I should just get a good trainer and Zwift.
You should do something; your wife is gonna be faster than you soon.
Yours won't.
Apex

fledonfoot wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:13 pm
[user not found] wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:36 pm

You should do something; your wife is gonna be faster than you soon.
Yours won't.
:ohmy: :micdrop:
Johnny_P

:popcorn:
Johnny_P

Fled you never specified what type of bike I have to buy for you to enter that race :popcorn:
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:17 pm Fled you never specified what type of bike I have to buy for you to enter that race :popcorn:
Fled's going to be racing before you buy anything.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:17 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:17 pm Fled you never specified what type of bike I have to buy for you to enter that race :popcorn:
moot point...
Apex

fledonfoot wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:42 pm
Apex wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:17 pm

moot point...
:(
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

150mm Fox Transfer dropper and remote ordered today. Didn't go with the Factory series for the extra $50 because then I'd have to order a $950 fork and $500 shock to match the Kashima coating.

I'm debating tire options.

Do I go with the new Nobby Nic Addix tires, or use my existing (and still good) Ardent rear and replace the High Roller II with a 2.4 Ardent?
Apex

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:25 pm 150mm Fox Transfer dropper and remote ordered today. Didn't go with the Factory series for the extra $50 because then I'd have to order a $950 fork and $500 shock to match the Kashima coating.

Do I go with the new Nobby Nic Addix tires, or use my existing (and still good) Ardent rear and replace the High Roller II with a 2.4 Ardent?
Do you have a thing with the tire brands matching? Go with the new Nobby Nic up front?
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:47 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:25 pm 150mm Fox Transfer dropper and remote ordered today. Didn't go with the Factory series for the extra $50 because then I'd have to order a $950 fork and $500 shock to match the Kashima coating.

Do you have a thing with the tire brands matching? Go with the new Nobby Nic up front?
Yeah, ocd kicks in on that one.

Also new Nobby Nics have a teal stripe in the rubber that doesn’t match either... but would look great on Zillons rig.
Johnny_P

If the rear tire works and you only want more front grip, get something like a Specialized Purgatory/Butcher, or yeah an Ardent/Minion. You can go a bit rowdier on the front tire as it won't have the rolling resistance of the rear tire since your weight is primarily on the rear. Mixing and matching front/rear is faster.

I do think Nobby Nics are rather ideal for our area though. A bit much for the rear tire but on the front they grip pretty well.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:07 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:47 pm

Yeah, ocd kicks in on that one.

Also new Nobby Nics have a teal stripe in the rubber that doesn’t match either... but would look great on Zillons rig.
I've got a Schwalbe Nobby Nic up front and a Continental X-King rear :iono: it's fast af.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:47 pm

If the rear tire works and you only want more front grip, get something like a Specialized Purgatory/Butcher, or yeah an Ardent/Minion. You can go a bit rowdier on the front tire as it won't have the rolling resistance of the rear tire since your weight is primarily on the rear. Mixing and matching front/rear is faster.

I do think Nobby Nics are rather ideal for our area though. A bit much for the rear tire but on the front they grip pretty well.
Yeah, the ardent on the rear is great for me. The problem I have with the High Roller II is that there’s a HUGE transition zone from the center blocks to the outer knobs, so unless I’m full on aggro the front end feels a little vague until I really get the bike leaning. In the sandy, rocky areas we have, it’s not ideal.

I loved the nics I put on the bmc, but they’re $95 each unless I source them from the UK.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:07 pm

Yeah, the ardent on the rear is great for me. The problem I have with the High Roller II is that there’s a HUGE transition zone from the center blocks to the outer knobs, so unless I’m full on aggro the front end feels a little vague until I really get the bike leaning. In the sandy, rocky areas we have, it’s not ideal.

I loved the nics I put on the bmc, but they’re $95 each unless I source them from the UK.
I had a set of Specialized Captains that were that way. Notice it a bit on the Nics but not nearly as pronounced. Maybe talk to LBS and buy a tire from them?
Apex

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:07 pm

:like:
Johnny_P

Schwalbe tires are unnecessarily expensive.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:45 am Schwalbe tires are unnecessarily expensive.
Dat German company tax.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:27 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:45 am Schwalbe tires are unnecessarily expensive.
Dat German company tax.
I special ordered my Nobby Nic and Racing Ralph and it ended up like $70 something for the nic and $90 or whatever for the Ralph (which was a shit tire overall). I dunno. I'll probably go Maxxis next. Lots of my friends ride them and seem to do well enough. My Specialized tires were overall really durable though, I'd be alright getting a set from them again. Sealed up tubeless really easily. My rear Conti is good but wearing really fast and doesn't have much grip over logs so IDK.

Conti makes best road tires though, bar none. Nobody can touch them.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Ordered a 2.4 Ardent for the front.

Ordered the dropper remote and gloves online from another smaller bike store in california and I'm getting a similar experience I got buying the WhOrbea. A website full of "in stock" parts that are "in stock" at manufacturer warehouses.

Makes it really hard to try and support the "little guy". BicycleWarehouse.com had a bunch of Liv stuff I got for the wife for xmas in stock... that took 2 weeks to ship.
Johnny_P

Incoming order:

SRAM X9 hubs on Mavic XC421 tubeless rams
Renthal Fatbar 740mm wide 10mm rise
Azonic 50mm stem

That's $314 of shit that the bike needed.
Will eventually order SLX 1x11 groupset. $300 more of shit that the bike doesn't exactly need. But I want it. I'm going to keep this bike even though I want a FS, it's only worth like $350 used tops but lifetime frame warranty and it's a good one. Fork kind of sucks I guess, meh, QR and 100mm travel and whatnot but :whocares: it's still good for Belmont and Wiss. So question is could I have bought a better hardtail for $900? I dunno, I think it would be about even but no warranty if you buy used so there's that.

So I'll be left with silver headset spacers and headset, and a silver seat post which will look horribad but I dunno. Might eventually get a dropper post, or just spray paint the seatpost? Thoughts?

For the road bike I :troywax: 'd on a carbon fiber seatpost to smooth out the ride. The ride was just too stiff with the new Zipp Service Course SL seatpost. It's a 2-bolt Ritchey Superlogic Link.... it was too expensive but if it prevents a bike purchase it's good. I'll also put my Giant stem back on it because I don't think the change to the Zipp stem was a good one. It's too short, the handling got wonky with it.

Roadie might get those used Zipp 202 FC's I linked earlier. $1200 is :waxer: buuuttttttt they should have good resale and should fit in my bike from what I can gather. They'll also massively help with the ride. I tested a set of Reynolds Assaults a while ago and loved the ride and stiffness but the braking was bad. These should brake a lot better while still delivering most of the stiffness (they're shallower) and all of the ride comfort at a lower price than those were.

I think I'm going to get an All City Macho King. It's just right for what I want to do with a CX'y bike, which is string road and dirt/singletrack together for all day epic rides. A Crux is too aggressive for that, really. The only other pick would be a Kona Major Jake, but I'm attracted to the steel bike.
Johnny_P

Also regarding the dropper. I could always put it on the Macho King as it takes the same 27.2mm seatpost as my Trek. So if I'm not using it on the MTB I could just transfer it to the CX.

Reason I didn't get the MK before was the one I was looking at had cable discs, QR axles, and a non-clutched rear derailleur. The current one has through axle front, hydro disc, and a clutched rear.