Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Burble

Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:45 am

Schwalbe tires are unnecessarily expensive.
Desertbreh wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:28 pm
He and Max both wake up every morning emotionally ripped apart by blind desire for enthusiast vehicles on the one hand and the stark reality that anything other than a 150K miles used Prius is a waste of money on the other.

Apex
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Kürbis

Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:27 am

Johnny_P wrote:
Dat German company tax.

Johnny_P

Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:32 am

Apex wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:27 am
Johnny_P wrote:
Dat German company tax.
I special ordered my Nobby Nic and Racing Ralph and it ended up like $70 something for the nic and $90 or whatever for the Ralph (which was a shit tire overall). I dunno. I'll probably go Maxxis next. Lots of my friends ride them and seem to do well enough. My Specialized tires were overall really durable though, I'd be alright getting a set from them again. Sealed up tubeless really easily. My rear Conti is good but wearing really fast and doesn't have much grip over logs so IDK.

Conti makes best road tires though, bar none. Nobody can touch them.
Desertbreh wrote:
He and Max both wake up every morning emotionally ripped apart by blind desire for enthusiast vehicles on the one hand and the stark reality that anything other than a 150K miles used Prius is a waste of money on the other.

Zillon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Datsun Dumptruck

Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:17 pm

fledonfoot wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:07 pm
Apex wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:47 pm

Do you have a thing with the tire brands matching? Go with the new Nobby Nic up front?
Yeah, ocd kicks in on that one.

Also new Nobby Nics have a teal stripe in the rubber that doesn’t match either... but would look great on Zillons rig.
Noted.

:wasteful:
Zildor the Magnificent
Garage: 2016 Bro 4X | 2006 R53
Detroit wrote:I love gravy.

fledonfoot
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Turbro Yaris, 15 F56 S

Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:04 pm

Ordered a 2.4 Ardent for the front.

Ordered the dropper remote and gloves online from another smaller bike store in california and I'm getting a similar experience I got buying the WhOrbea. A website full of "in stock" parts that are "in stock" at manufacturer warehouses.

Makes it really hard to try and support the "little guy". BicycleWarehouse.com had a bunch of Liv stuff I got for the wife for xmas in stock... that took 2 weeks to ship.

Zillon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Datsun Dumptruck

Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:08 pm

fledonfoot wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:04 pm
Ordered a 2.4 Ardent for the front.

Ordered the dropper remote and gloves online from another smaller bike store in california and I'm getting a similar experience I got buying the WhOrbea. A website full of "in stock" parts that are "in stock" at manufacturer warehouses.

Makes it really hard to try and support the "little guy". BicycleWarehouse.com had a bunch of Liv stuff I got for the wife for xmas in stock... that took 2 weeks to ship.
Everything's drop shipped anymore.

Overhead costs have gotten insane unless you're a high-volume e-biz.
Zildor the Magnificent
Garage: 2016 Bro 4X | 2006 R53
Detroit wrote:I love gravy.

Johnny_P

Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:54 am

Incoming order:

SRAM X9 hubs on Mavic XC421 tubeless rams
Renthal Fatbar 740mm wide 10mm rise
Azonic 50mm stem

That's $314 of shit that the bike needed.
Will eventually order SLX 1x11 groupset. $300 more of shit that the bike doesn't exactly need. But I want it. I'm going to keep this bike even though I want a FS, it's only worth like $350 used tops but lifetime frame warranty and it's a good one. Fork kind of sucks I guess, meh, QR and 100mm travel and whatnot but :whocares: it's still good for Belmont and Wiss. So question is could I have bought a better hardtail for $900? I dunno, I think it would be about even but no warranty if you buy used so there's that.

So I'll be left with silver headset spacers and headset, and a silver seat post which will look horribad but I dunno. Might eventually get a dropper post, or just spray paint the seatpost? Thoughts?

For the road bike I :troywax: 'd on a carbon fiber seatpost to smooth out the ride. The ride was just too stiff with the new Zipp Service Course SL seatpost. It's a 2-bolt Ritchey Superlogic Link.... it was too expensive but if it prevents a bike purchase it's good. I'll also put my Giant stem back on it because I don't think the change to the Zipp stem was a good one. It's too short, the handling got wonky with it.

Roadie might get those used Zipp 202 FC's I linked earlier. $1200 is :waxer: buuuttttttt they should have good resale and should fit in my bike from what I can gather. They'll also massively help with the ride. I tested a set of Reynolds Assaults a while ago and loved the ride and stiffness but the braking was bad. These should brake a lot better while still delivering most of the stiffness (they're shallower) and all of the ride comfort at a lower price than those were.

I think I'm going to get an All City Macho King. It's just right for what I want to do with a CX'y bike, which is string road and dirt/singletrack together for all day epic rides. A Crux is too aggressive for that, really. The only other pick would be a Kona Major Jake, but I'm attracted to the steel bike.
Desertbreh wrote:

Johnny_P

Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:59 am

Also regarding the dropper. I could always put it on the Macho King as it takes the same 27.2mm seatpost as my Trek. So if I'm not using it on the MTB I could just transfer it to the CX.

Reason I didn't get the MK before was the one I was looking at had cable discs, QR axles, and a non-clutched rear derailleur. The current one has through axle front, hydro disc, and a clutched rear.
Desertbreh wrote:

golftdibrad
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: Turbo Yaris, Clear Miata/MR2

Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:00 pm

Johnny_P wrote:
Incoming order:

Azonic 50mm stem

Will eventually order SLX 1x11 groupset. $300 more of shit that the bike doesn't exactly need. But I want it. I'm going to keep this bike even though I want a FS, it's only worth like $350 used tops but lifetime frame warranty and it's a good one. Fork kind of sucks I guess, meh, QR and 100mm travel and whatnot but :whocares: it's still good for Belmont and Wiss. So question is could I have bought a better hardtail for $900? I dunno, I think it would be about even but no warranty if you buy used so there's that.

So I'll be left with silver headset spacers and headset, and a silver seat post which will look horribad but I dunno. Might eventually get a dropper post, or just spray paint the seatpost? Thoughts?

For the road bike I :troywax: 'd on a carbon fiber seatpost to smooth out the ride. The ride was just too stiff with the new Zipp Service Course SL seatpost. It's a 2-bolt Ritchey Superlogic Link.... it was too expensive but if it prevents a bike purchase it's good. I'll also put my Giant stem back on it because I don't think the change to the Zipp stem was a good one. It's too short, the handling got wonky with it.

Roadie might get those used Zipp 202 FC's I linked earlier. $1200 is :waxer: buuuttttttt they should have good resale and should fit in my bike from what I can gather. They'll also massively help with the ride. I tested a set of Reynolds Assaults a while ago and loved the ride and stiffness but the braking was bad. These should brake a lot better while still delivering most of the stiffness (they're shallower) and all of the ride comfort at a lower price than those were.

I think I'm going to get an All City Macho King. It's just right for what I want to do with a CX'y bike, which is string road and dirt/singletrack together for all day epic rides. A Crux is too aggressive for that, really. The only other pick would be a Kona Major Jake, but I'm attracted to the steel bike.
not :wasteful: enough, you can do better
Weekly :fax:
minimalmaxiums wrote:What are your priorities? There are 168 hours in a week—plan accordingly. [you should sleep for 56 leaving 112-bg]

Johnny_P

Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:02 pm

golftdibrad wrote:
Johnny_P wrote:
Incoming order:

Azonic 50mm stem

My order total yesterday was $630 :scrooge:
Will :troywax: on :boxodicks: drivetrain upgrade for MTB $300
Will hopefully :troywax: on a Macho King this week $2400? Wednesday should be free to do that.
Will hopefully :troywax: on new MTB early this year, maybe even in the next week. The ones I've been looking at are $4k.

$7300 in bike shit. Not worth more than my car. I'm DIW.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desertbreh wrote:

golftdibrad
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: Turbo Yaris, Clear Miata/MR2

Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:04 pm

Johnny_P wrote:
golftdibrad wrote:

Ok, over 500 on bike PARTS is :wasteful: enough
:bravo:
Weekly :fax:
minimalmaxiums wrote:What are your priorities? There are 168 hours in a week—plan accordingly. [you should sleep for 56 leaving 112-bg]

Johnny_P

Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:06 pm

golftdibrad wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:04 pm
Johnny_P wrote:

Ok, over 500 on bike PARTS is :wasteful: enough
:bravo:
Yeah $300 for a handle bar, stem, and wheels on one bike.
$240 for a fucking seatpost
The rest (I can't math) in purple water bottle cages and teal bar tape for GF's bike
Desertbreh wrote:

• Information