DYELB: The Gainz Train

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:45 pm
Apex wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:31 am Got back into the gym for the first time in about 7 months, I am weak af.
Squat: 165 x 5 x 3
Press: 95 x 5 x 3
Deadlift: 185 x 5

Felt good doe.
Glad you're back in the game :fuckyeah:

I am now on my deload week of my third BBB cycle. I'm not yet back up to my pre back injury strength, but the size is there, especially my legs are massive now. The strength also continues to grow, slowly but little by little. I'm kind of tired of BBB/531 :doe: , I've been doing 531 for a long time now.

I think I'll do one more BBB cycle and then maybe try something new. Any suggestions? I'd like to focus on building strength in the core lifts and staying leaner/not really interested in a ton more size.
Id do the starting strength program, but skip phase 1, and possibly phase 2. Look at phases 2 and 3 and see which one might be best for you.
SAWCE

385x5 :notbad: considering last time I got 2 reps: then I backed off to 265 and pulled it for 12 reps. Overall :fuckyeah: got tonight. Only thing that sucked was DB shoulder press.
SAWCE

Just hit some rear delts and traps at work gym again. Nice little pump for a quick five minutes. Hitting legs, biceps, and forearms tonight.
SAWCE

Another solid night. I'd been losing some strength as I'm trying to lean out, but the last two weeks I've been increasing protein slightly while cutting my carbs and fats lower. Still dropping bodyfat, but strength seems to be rebounding a bit which is nice.

Barbell curl: 95x 15, 8, 4. Last time was 15,7,5, so same total reps, but they definitely felt better last night. Need to get up to 30 total and then I'll bump up to 100lbs.

DB hammer curl: 50x14. Got 13 last time. This are definitely being swung a bit, but my forearms are still getting pumped. Gonna slow them down a bit next week, but still try to stay in my 11-20 goal rep range with this weight.

Calve raises: 260x12. Went up 20lbs from last time and got them all still.

Seated ham curls: 170x10,7,4. 21 reps. Last week I got 21 reps with 160. Goal is 15-20, so I'll move up to 180 next week. Machine is almost maxed out.

Leg press: Went back up to 770lbs. 3 solid reps, then 2 partial reps just to force some extra growth. Dropped to 490 after for a set of 23.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

last week i did 50 pushups in 5 sets of ten. Like real pushups. I have not been able to do that...ever

took a few days off to recover, i felt like i needed a little break. Back at it tonight

need to enjoy the peace for the next two weeks
http://cheezburger.com/4299525/these-co ... in-january
brain go brrrrrr
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Big Brain Bradley wrote:last week i did 50 pushups in 5 sets of ten. Like real pushups. I have not been able to do that...ever

took a few days off to recover, i felt like i needed a little break. Back at it tonight

need to enjoy the peace for the next two weeks
http://cheezburger.com/4299525/these-co ... in-january
“I came to the gym to do a body weight routine.”

Couple weeks ago there were two younger guys who did nothing they couldn’t have done at home for the entire 50 minutes I was there at least.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Hit mah squats and deadlifts on Saturday again, but no soreness this time around. :fuckyeah:
Little sore in mah pecs from bench doe.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

well, decent week at gym so far.

Sunday I did some HIIT at the house

Monday I did some weights. Decided to back off on the BP a bit since i was struggling it seemed.... in fact i backed off all the weights 20 lbs or so and focused on good form. Felt like a great workout.

But i think i strained something in my left forearm on free weights

Wednesday i tried to up the BP numbers again..... that extra 20 lbs for some reason is a wall to me. I got 15 out of planned 25 reps and 5 were really shite. Kind of :disappoint:
Arm was feeling better and started free weights and it immediately got agverated, so I stopped.
Saved the day by having a kick ass squats session :doe:
Going in saturday morning for some more brodown.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:18 am well, decent week at gym so far.

Monday I did some weights. Decided to back off on the BP a bit since i was struggling it seemed.... in fact i backed off all the weights 20 lbs or so and focused on good form. Felt like a great workout.

Wednesday i tried to up the BP numbers again..... that extra 20 lbs for some reason is a wall to me. I got 15 out of planned 25 reps and 5 were really shite. Kind of :disappoint:
Arm was feeling better and started free weights and it immediately got agverated, so I stopped.
Grab a video of your bench for us one day to break down? Jax is really good at analyzing form, and I'll bet Apex is too since he goes for more of a power lifting routine. Could be a simple for tweak to get you going up in weight again on the bench. Could also just be a mental thing for you to break through too though. For some reason I always get in my own head about benching once it gets above 225. Seeing those two plates on there just messes with me somehow.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:44 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:18 am well, decent week at gym so far.

Grab a video of your bench for us one day to break down? Jax is really good at analyzing form, and I'll bet Apex is too since he goes for more of a power lifting routine. Could be a simple for tweak to get you going up in weight again on the bench. Could also just be a mental thing for you to break through too though. For some reason I always get in my own head about benching once it gets above 225. Seeing those two plates on there just messes with me somehow.
Will do. Prob. not saturday to avoid being 'that guy'
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:47 am

:word: Wifey still going with you, or is she too preggo right now for much exercise? She might be able to get a better angle than you can get just setting the phone up yourself.
SAWCE

Just hit arms last night and coached Michelle through a "push" day between my sets. I need to slow my reps down a bit next week and get a better squeeze/pump. I feel like right now, they're visually my smallest muscle group, with my weak ass legs coming in close behind them. Need some serious size added to both of them.
Apex

:dat: happy to throw in my 2cents on form checks
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:50 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:47 am

:word: Wifey still going with you, or is she too preggo right now for much exercise? She might be able to get a better angle than you can get just setting the phone up yourself.
no, too preggo.
brain go brrrrrr
Calvinball

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:59 am
SAWCE wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:50 am

no, too preggo.
Mine was in the gym this week :iono:
Apex

I've been hitting the weights on Saturday mornings and this morning was :notbad:
Squat: 215 x 5 x 3
Bench: 135 x 5 x 3
Curlz: 40 x 15 x 3

I feel weak af compared to my PR's, but I did take 7 months off and the weights are moving up nicely these days. Press was 110 x 5 x 3 last week too.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Calvinball wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:13 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:59 am

no, too preggo.
se was pretty good about keeping a program for 6 months or so but the nausea interfered with it. in the later stages its just been hard, so did some stuff at the house.

kinda :aintcare: about it. She's done really well and put on virtually no extra weight that's not baby/baby support systems.

My forearm hurts pretty good when i make a grabbing motion. :(
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

For those not on Insta, Michelle ran a half marathon yesterday with pretty much no training for it. Pretty :impressive: Her training included lifting weights with me a few days last week, and then running a two-ish miles afterwards while I did my walking treadmill cardio. She's a beast. If she lets me actually train her in the gym, she could probably get crazy strong.

I volunteered at the marathon.. handing out water, and little carb snacks, and random high-fives to people. Brought two of my daily meals with me and just sat on the sidelines with a tupperware full of turkey and rice eating that, then had another meal when we got back to her parents' house, drove home to San Diego and went to hit chest. Strength is definitely coming up on this program, and I'm doing better about slowing my reps down too to really focus on the muscle I'm trying to target.

Hit 10, 10, 8, 6 with 185lbs on the incline bench, then 4 sets of 10 with 65lb dumbbells on a flat bench. 3 sets of 12 incline dumbbell flyes with 35s, then 3 sets of 12 on the pec deck with 90lbs, nice and slow holding the peak contraction and getting a really full stretch at the bottom of the motion. Had a few extra minutes before the gym closed so I got to practice some posing in the locker room before calling it a day. Trying to be good about spending a few minutes doing that at the end of every session.
Calvinball

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:48 am
Calvinball wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:13 pm

se was pretty good about keeping a program for 6 months or so but the nausea interfered with it. in the later stages its just been hard, so did some stuff at the house.

kinda :aintcare: about it. She's done really well and put on virtually no extra weight that's not baby/baby support systems.

My forearm hurts pretty good when i make a grabbing motion. :(
Just givin ya a hard time. As long as she’s being healthy that’s all that matters.
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: MK7 GTI

Move was a success, but I had to cut my gym platform in half in order to be able to move it into the basement. Kinda a bummer, but I'll just get some heavy duty brackets for hold it together. I'll likely run some wood glue along the cut seam and sand it down to smooth it out. Overall, very excited for the extra space!
The panda hath arrived.
Calvinball

I had a bad December, then a decent first couple of weeks in January but haven’t made it in at all yet this week. Some days have been explainable between illness and weather, but some mornings I’m just really struggling to get myself up.

This ain’t gonna get better with a newborn. I’m thinking I need a routine of body weight stuff to do at home when I have a free 20-30 minutes. There is a dearth of workout equipment in my home, some real light stuff the wife uses with her videos, and one 35 lb dumbbell.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Calvinball wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:33 am I had a bad December, then a decent first couple of weeks in January but haven’t made it in at all yet this week. Some days have been explainable between illness and weather, but some mornings I’m just really struggling to get myself up.

This ain’t gonna get better with a newborn. I’m thinking I need a routine of body weight stuff to do at home when I have a free 20-30 minutes. There is a dearth of workout equipment in my home, some real light stuff the wife uses with her videos, and one 35 lb dumbbell.
Ever use kettle bells? I have a couple at home. They are great for use on many different exercises. Mine have gotten too light :doe:

If i run into this issue when our :baby: comes i might pony up for a 60 ish-lber.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Calvinball wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:33 am I had a bad December, then a decent first couple of weeks in January but haven’t made it in at all yet this week. Some days have been explainable between illness and weather, but some mornings I’m just really struggling to get myself up.

I'd suggest a kettlebell or two like :fax: said, or get a cheap used barbell off craigslist and a couple of 10 and 25lb bumper plates, then find some full body complexes to do in your garages. Full body workout in 15-20 minutes is pretty easy with those. You won't build crazy strength, but your conditioning will be insane.
SAWCE

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:33 am

I'd suggest a kettlebell or two like :fax: said, or get a cheap used barbell off craigslist and a couple of 10 and 25lb bumper plates, then find some full body complexes to do in your garages. Full body workout in 15-20 minutes is pretty easy with those. You won't build crazy strength, but your conditioning will be insane.
https://www.t-nation.com/training/rebui ... -complexes

https://www.t-nation.com/training/brutal-complexes

https://www.t-nation.com/training/complexes-made-simple

https://www.t-nation.com/training/screw ... d-physique

Each of those articles has at least one good barbell complex you can do.. one I especially like the look of for full body is:

•Row: x 8
•Clean: x 8
•Front squat: x 8
•Military press: x 8
•Back squat: x 8
•Good mornings: x 8

HIt a few rounds of that every Monday Wednesday and Friday and you'll be in pretty good shape. Move through the whole thing without setting the bar down, then you get to rest after the last rep of Good mornings. Slowly increase your reps for some progressive overload.
Calvinball

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:33 am

What exercises?