Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Apex wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:05 pm I have $200 of XT drivetrain sitting in my cart at Jenson right now. :lol:
:dill:
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:17 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:05 pm I have $200 of XT drivetrain sitting in my cart at Jenson right now. :lol:
:dill:
:notsure: if there would be any issue running those on my BMC doe?
Apex

And I don't really want to drop $200 on it right now...
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:28 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:21 pm

Which parts are in the cart?

If it's just shifter, derailleur, chain, and cassette, you'd likely be OK.

A 10-speed cassette should fit on the hub, I'd think.
It's XT shifter, derailleur, chain, and 11 speed cassette. IIRC, I have SRAM X9 hubs.

Best bet would be to just leave well enough alone at the moment.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:45 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:41 pm

It's XT shifter, derailleur, chain, and 11 speed cassette. IIRC, I have SRAM X9 hubs.

Best bet would be to just leave well enough alone at the moment.
:dat:

Ride yo bike moar first. Parts can wait.
Unless I need a new tar, that should be ordered if necessary. :lol:
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:59 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:46 pm

Unless I need a new tar, that should be ordered if necessary. :lol:
Your tire is likely OK - just need to clean the bead out and add sealant.

Also, let that Pate ride serve as a lesson for you - bring a tube just in case.
:word: It would have been way easier to ride out than walk out, hah. I should toss a tube and pump in my pack at least.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:28 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:21 pm

Which parts are in the cart?

If it's just shifter, derailleur, chain, and cassette, you'd likely be OK.

A 10-speed cassette should fit on the hub, I'd think.
The new SLX/XT 11spd stuff fits on a standard 8/9/10 hub and fits between a 135mm rear no problem. It's what's on wifey's bike.
Apex

What's a decent hand pump to toss in my pack?
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Apex wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:55 pm What's a decent hand pump to toss in my pack?
Whatever is cheap they all kind of suck. An MTB specific one is probably your best bet. They push more volume per stroke and max out at lower pressure than a road one will.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:25 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:55 pm What's a decent hand pump to toss in my pack?
The Cannondale and Bontrager hand pumps are pretty decent and pretty cheap.
:word:
Johnny_P

Is there anywhere in the area that you can actually test out a Niner Jet 9? Factory cash on them. Jet9 RDO SLX has a 130mm pike fork 120mm rear travel, boost spacing, 5 year warranty.

Heard that maybe the Niner CVA stuff doesn't pedal all that well but idk? Also something about not separating braking and suspension action? :notsure:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:51 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:44 pm Is there anywhere in the area that you can actually test out a Niner Jet 9? Factory cash on them. Jet9 RDO SLX has a 130mm pike fork 120mm rear travel, boost spacing, 5 year warranty.

Heard that maybe the Niner CVA stuff doesn't pedal all that well but idk? Also something about not separating braking and suspension action? :notsure:
Niner does periodically visit the area for demo days... they had one this spring. Doesn't look like there's another planned right now for the beast coast.

Henry's Bikes in Newark has Niner Demos - go hit 'em up.
Newark :rolleyes:
Johnny_P

I think Keswick in Glenside is a Niner dealer. Maybe they have a bike on site.

:jimp:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

It amazes me that there's advertised factory cash on the hood of these things. Their sales must be lagging and it worries me a little.

I say you get your leg over a Process 111 ASAP and just buy it if you like it. It's been your baseline for the last month and you're comparing everything to it.

I test rode a couple of bikes to get a feel of the geometry and sizing but ended up buying the Orbea without riding one. It was similar to a Trance in geo and sizing and after reading a ton of reviews it seemed to be the way to go when I found one on closeout. Then :boxodicks: happened.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Yup.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/anthem-2-2018

Only thing that sucks is that I'm between frame sizes. Probably will go for a Large and drop the stem back to a 50 from the 60mm it comes with. Otherwise, this looks perfect. Now to convince the wife. :notsure:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Was reading through these reviews - http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/b ... -d-29-2017 - since that's about as much as I'll be able to spend and they reviewed the lower travel type bikes I'd be most likely to use around here. The Tallboy sounds great, but that's a pretty disappointing spec for the price. No dropper and a much lower end fork for the same ~$2,600. :disappoint: Typical for Santa Cruz, I guess.
Apex

coogles wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:51 am Yup.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/anthem-2-2018

Only thing that sucks is that I'm between frame sizes. Probably will go for a Large and drop the stem back to a 50 from the 60mm it comes with. Otherwise, this looks perfect. Now to convince the wife. :notsure:
That looks like a :fuckyeah: bike! Dig the blue/orange color combo.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:54 am Was reading through these reviews - http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/b ... -d-29-2017 - since that's about as much as I'll be able to spend and they reviewed the lower travel type bikes I'd be most likely to use around here. The Tallboy sounds great, but that's a pretty disappointing spec for the price. No dropper and a much lower end fork for the same ~$2,600. :disappoint: Typical for Santa Cruz, I guess.
Big box brands always give you more bang for your buck. Their frame development and manufacturing costs are far lower, and they have more buying power with parts suppliers and get bigger discounts because of the volume they buy.

I have a friend with an Anthem. He loves it. I want 29er wheels with moar travel, but if you're fine with 27.5 go for it.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:37 am Big box brands always give you more bang for your buck. Their frame development and manufacturing costs are far lower, and they have more buying power with parts suppliers and get bigger discounts because of the volume they buy.

I have a friend with an Anthem. He loves it. I want 29er wheels with moar travel, but if you're fine with 27.5 go for it.
Between 29 and 27.5, I'm honestly not sure. I'm coming from an old 26" bike, so 27.5 tires feel more comfortable to me right off the bat, but I've ridden so few bikes it's hard to say. I felt very on top of my friends X-Cal 29er when he let me romp around on it for a mile or so, but the Superfly with a 1" larger frame size felt instantly comfortable, although I also was also just :derp:ing around in a parking lot. The X-cal just didn't seem anywhere near as playful in the tighter stuff as my 26"-wheeled bike. Demo day last week was canceled to to weather :rage:, but they have the Anthem Advanced to demo. Next one is on the 9th, I suppose I can hold out until then.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:11 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:37 am

Big box brands always give you more bang for your buck. Their frame development and manufacturing costs are far lower, and they have more buying power with parts suppliers and get bigger discounts because of the volume they buy.

2018 Anthem is going back to 29.
Whoa, wait... really? Dang. I need to check one out. Bikesmith carries Giants.
Johnny_P

Holy shit that outdoorgearlab comparo shit all over the Niner Jet 9 :disappoint:

Interesting reading that article. They said the Fuel EX isn't very fun. I'd tend to agree with that, it's very capable and feels sure footed but it wasn't easy to hop it around. It very much wanted to stay on the ground. Contrast that with the 5010 I rode which just wanted to get airborne at every opportunity. I want air.

Should test ride a Tallboy and Anthem. And Camber. But I think the Tallboy or Anthem will be more my style.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:39 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:38 pm

Whoa, wait... really? Dang. I need to check one out. Bikesmith carries Giants.
https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/06/27/gi ... anthem-29/
90mm rear travel
100mm front travel
XC race oriented
32mm :jalepenis: forks

:disgust:

BUT Anthem 2 looks interesting, but 27.5 wheels.
Johnny_P

Belmont Plateau, doe

Really good trail map of the area. Most of them suck. This one is basically all of the trails and its giant (open in a separate window).
Johnny_P

Found myself on the Belmont Races course last night, forgot they did that on Thursdays. Did like 1.5 laps or so. I was so fucking beat. Not being on the bike for 4 weeks I was sloppy and very slow.

Oh well. Still cleared most of the harder obstacles. I'm getting a lot better at log overs.

ALSO. Since the last rebuild on my fork, it's been performing a lot better but the seals are leaving a tiny film of fluid on the stanchions. According to my mechanic that's a good thing meaning the seals haven't dried up and such. But dirt is sticking to it and leaving a ring on the stanchion where the travel stops. Max travel on my 100mm fork? 85 mm. :rage: No wonder I'm bottoming the motherfucker out.

Couple that with a very XC-oriented long stem narrow handlebar combo and I'm all over the place going over rough stuff. Need dat new bike doe.

I'll try and find an anthem 27.5 to test out this weekend if possible and a Kona Process 29er. Maybe call Cadence and see if they have a Tallboy built up in size XL. My parents are making a surprise last minute visit up here tomorrow but I think I'll have the morning to test ride stuff.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:33 pm I'm down for checking out Belmont one day. Would love to get down there.
I'm always down 2 clown in Belmont but I don't know all the trails by heart. Getting lost in there is a real possibility but oh well, they all dump back out onto a common gravel road.